Wednesday, December 14, 2011

6 a.m.--7:30 a.m. Some Things Never Change

Today is a gray, wet, sunless kind of day.  We had thunderstorms during the night. The thunder rolled and sounded like bombs exploding, while the lightning crackled and ripped the sky apart. 


My granddaughter Jacy is afraid of storms.  I usually sleep with her when I stay at Tami's but last night I slept in Logan's bed.  He was sleeping in Tami's bed. Since I had stayed up late reading, Jacy had fallen asleep on my side of the bed.  I didn't want to wake Jacy up so I just crawled in Logan's bed and slept fine until the storm started.

I heard the storm in my sleep but I could not wake up.  Finally after a huge clap of thunder shook the house, I was awake. I ran to Jacy's room and jumped in bed...so did Max, their dog. We landed just about the same time. Jacy was awake, big brown eyes and a mess of curls was all I could see. When she heard the thunder hammer her home, she covered her head.  Max made a beeline for her pillow and I grabbed the only one left. Both Max and myself surrounded Jacy.  It made her feel safe and in a matter of minutes Jacy was sleeping.  Max and I had dropped off to sleep, when the next round of storms began.  Evidently, I moved to much for Max because he gave a snort in my direction and left for Tami's room.


By this time I am awake and in dire need of coffee. As I sat on the couch and enjoyed the storm and hot coffee, I saw Jacy run across the hall and jump in Tami's bed.  By now the bed is full.....and soon it will be time for everyone to get up.  I just smiled.  I remembered those days, when my girls were small and they all piled in someone's bed. Usually it was Lisa's bed.  I would already be up, getting ready for work.

We had one bathroom and 3 girls to share it in the mornings. They caught the bus at 7:10.  Not a lot of time to goof off but just enough time for World War 111 to start---almost every day---without fail.  They never missed the bus---how I will never know!!  They weren't exactly happy campers but they were dressed and out the door when the bus pulled to a stop at our driveway.

As they trudged to the bus, it looked like a long funeral procession. Each daughter was the stair step for the next daughter. First Lisa, then Tami and finally Melodi.  Mel was followed by a dog or 2 and at least 1 cat and at times a chicken or two.  Just whatever was loose and roaming the yard when the girls came out the back door.


Those are good memories for me, probably not for them.  They are all in the midst of making their own memories now. Each has their own home, accompanied by their own routines.  I love to sit and watch them just be themselves.  It is comforting to watch my daughters, marveling  at the amazing young women they have become.  I intend to share these moments every chance I get. 

I have to keep one thought in mind, not everyone I know and love happens to be a "morning person" and that is not a bad thing at all.  They just need a little extra time and space, while waiting for their day to begin.







2 comments:

  1. Another really nice one...they all are. It's great that you enjoy a good storm; so do I! Lisa, Tami, and Melodi will treasure these writings always...funny how we take snapshots of the moments we think are most important, but as time passes we realize that the best moments couldn't have been captured on film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz you are so right.The"best moments couldn't have been captured on film" So true

    ReplyDelete