Saturday, March 3, 2012

There is Just Something About Men in Tights!!!

Tommy and I moved back to Marietta, Georgia when he received his discharge from the Marines. We were living in Yuma, Arizona at the time. We talked about where we wanted to live for months. It changed all the time. The atlas was our favorite book. We had routes marked and highlighted in so many directions that some places were hard to actually see, much less read.

 Originally, before we got pregnant, we were going to travel from state to state. Find a job, see the sights and move on to another adventure,another state.  We never intended on settling down until we turned 30. We were in our early 20's had a baby daughter, Lisa, and a new stereo. Everything we owned fit in a 5x8 pull type U haul trailer. Most of our possessions were for Lisa's room. Life was fun. We had a million plans. It didn't take much to make us happy.

We finally decided to move back to Georgia. We loved the South and Atlanta in particular. It was 7 hours from home, that was a draw back and a blessing.

Soon we had our first two bedroom apartment with our first "back door". We were so excited over this little bit of nothing. Tommy had a good day job when he started playing in a band. He had a beautiful voice and played  rhythm guitar, finding a band was easy.....staying in one was a different matter completely.  One band would break up and another one would start. Usually the break ups were over women or drunken band members.


Since we were the only married couple, everyone gravitated to our place. Lisa was every one's pride and joy. She was easy to love and everyone really looked out for her.  Some weeks the band would play 4 nights a week on top of every one's day job. We were young and tough, sleep was optional as long as we were having fun!


Then one Thursday night, one of the guys suggested they go see a wrestling match in Marietta. The Assassin and Rock Hunter were wrestling and it was supposed to be an exciting, hard fought, bloody bout. I was invited but declined. That was the last thing I wanted to see.


This went on for about a month. Every Thursday night the band would go to the wrestling matches, if they didn't have a gig.  Tommy really wanted me to go with them. Everyone said I would have fun. Finally I said I would go one time and if I didn't like it, I would never be pressured to go again.  We all agreed.


When we got there, I saw a huge, rowdy crowd. The bleachers were ten rows high.  The auditorium was filled with men and women laughing, talking, flirting and singing. Music was piped in as we waited for the bouts to begin.  Perfume and sweat filled the air.  Young men walked the bleachers and isles selling popcorn and beer. I didn't want a beer at that time.  I was too busy " people watching" to drink.  Soon it was time for the show to begin.

 The crowd started to chant, stomp and roar and out came the most beautiful man I had ever seen!!!  Tracy Rivers!!!!  Model perfect..... much too pretty to be fighting. I instantly became his biggest fan and hollered for the little boy selling beer, to come back, I believe I was ready for a beer!


Tommy grinned and said , "Are you having fun yet?"  Oh yeah I was having fun!!!  Tracy was pretty but he couldn't wrestle at all!  He was tossed around the ring, thrown up and over the ropes and stomped on a few times. I was livid!!!!   "Hey little boy, bring me another beer!!!"  Round 2 was about to begin.


We had a good time that night. The guys were delighted that I enjoyed myself and so it became a weekly night out for all of us. My best friend kept Lisa so it was a fun time for me.  This went on for about 6 weeks. I became familiar with the "villain's" and the "heroes".  I learned some of the holds and moves and enjoyed my share of beer.  I always cheered for Tracy Rivers and was teased unmercifully by the band because of it. Tommy thought it was funny.


Then one night Tracy had to fight the Assassin and I was beside myself with worry!!!!  The Assassin was a dirty fighter and I knew this night was not going to end well. They fought late in the night and I drank more than a few beers waiting for the match to begin. We were all laughing and talking, just generally having fun. I was nervous. The announcer called for the main bout and out came Tracy, all 6 feet four inches of bronze skin and long blond hair.

The crowd went wild, he strolled around the ring and I swear he winked at me!!!   I know he didn't, but that is part of what I remember. Then the Assassin was announced and the boo's were thunderous!  The bleachers rumbled and rocked. People stood and cheered, stomped threw out curses and compliments! It was exciting and I was about half lit!!!  


They dodged each other for awhile, hit, pop, grab, slap and throw down. Each one playing their part. Tracy was body slammed and stomped on. The Ref came in and warned the Assassin, so did I, and I got another beer!  This went on for 3 rounds and then the Assassin picks up Tracy and threw him out of the ring. The Assassin jumped out of the ring, picked up a folding chair and was getting ready to hit Tracy with it.  I jumped up threw my denim jacket on the floor and ran down the steps and around the ring!!!  


Everything went crazy. I ran up to the  Assassin and told him in very unladylike words to "Drop the chair and leave Tracy alone". I was on a roll! The Assassin looked at Tracy, Tracy looked at me. Then we both looked at the Assassin. They were speechless and I couldn't shut up!!!  That is about the time arms start grabbing me! One pair of arms belonged to Tommy.


He grabbed me by my shirt collar and started dragging me away. I was still giving the Assassin instructions. Tommy leaned into my ear and whispered, "If that big son of a bitch hits you---I am gonna have to fight him----he will kill me!!  But if I live I will beat your ass when I get you home!!!  Now shut up and come with me!!!"  Well alrighty then, since you put it that way!


Needless to say it was a quiet ride home.  The band members were dying to crack jokes but Tommy was not in the mood!!!  I was about a half an inch away from throwing up all over everyone!! They put us out at our house and I heard them yelling "Boom", "Boom" "Pow" as they drove off, laughing!  Thanks buddies!!!


After that night we all found something else to do on Thursday nights.  I was informed that under no circumstances would I ever go to another wrestling match.  I did hear through the grapevine that Tracy Rivers quit wrestling and of course the Assassin rocked on to fame.

Now my grandson wrestles in school. Completely different. I get caught up when he is wrestling but I am always afraid he is gonna get hurt---and if he does, well you know the rest of the story.... I may end up grounded again!!  


Good luck Logan, Nonnie and Papaw love you and are very proud of you. And darlin' just be thankful, they do not sell beer at your school:) 



2 comments:

  1. Mom, I cannot believe you were giving a lecture to a grown ass man that was wrestling! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time:)

    ReplyDelete