Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Then and Now......42 Years Does Make a Difference

April is a busy month for us. We have four birthdays within the first eleven days of the month. Logan's birthday was April 1st. He had a laser tag party at Columbia. I have to admit that I probably enjoyed that party as much as he did. I had never played laser tag.  I really did not know what I was missing!!!  I intend to play again and maybe again!!!

Tommy's birthday was yesterday April 3rd. Tami took us to Kobe's Japanese Restaurant.  That was quite a show and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted a memory making night and I got it.

My birthday is Friday April 6th. Then Tami's birthday is April 11th. We basically did all our celebrating last night. It was a good time and everyone was more than delighted.

Tommy wanted to know what I would like for my birthday and I told him a truck load of dirt!!!   And I do.  Even though I live in the country,  I need dirt to fill up my boat and bathtub so I can get my flowers planted. He agreed, so hopefully the weather allows us to get it Friday.  That part of the yard is going to be really pretty.....trust me on this.  Although I am the only one who thinks there is even a remote chance I can pull this off. I have no doubts because I have already seen it in my minds eye and they are gonna love.....I hope:)

I ran across a picture of Tommy and me when he was about 23 and I was 22.  I love that picture. It was made in April after he had gotten out of the military in November. We had a family picture made that day with Lisa, but I couldn't find it today.

I remember that day so clearly.  Tommy didn't really want to have these pictures taken. Mama's birthday was May 1st and that was what she had asked for and by golly that was what she was going to get!  He wanted to go fishing.

It was a Saturday morning and on the way to the studio, Lisa went to sleep.  That always makes for a good picture making session. She didn't want to get her picture taken either.  Tommy was letting his hair grow out long. He had been forced to keep it short for four years and now it was time to let it grow. We were knee deep in music, bands and having a good time. The 70's were a great time to be alive!!


After we made the family picture, it was our turn. Tommy was giving me a hard time and refused to smile.  The photographer said , "Ok Mr. Carter, say 'women' ."  He did and he grinned from ear to ear. The butthead!!!  




I wanted to get another picture taken of us as we are now.  He is still thinking about it. Here are a few pictures made of us within the past year.  They aren't professional shots by any means, but honestly it is us. I am in a flannel shirt and jeans.  Tommy has been fishing and is thrilled with his catch. It has been 40 years since the above photo was made.

During that time we have moved 14 times in 10 years. Had two more daughters and now have two grandchildren. Bought a home and have lived here for 33 years....and we still aren't through working on it.  We have had some wonderful vacations and been blessed to see most of the United States, a lot of Canada and visited Mexico. We have been to Alaska twice and loved it.

We have been through illnesses, heart attacks, deaths, marriages, divorce's, murders, suicides and more friends than I can even start to name.  Thankfully, there were more good times than bad. We are at a place in life we worked for and longed to reach. It was worth all we went through.  Tommy is 64 and I will be 63 in a few days.  And we are happy--very happy.                                   

           
                                         

             
                       

                 

                                         
                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment