Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Silent Thank You.....

Today has started off like most of my mornings. Slow and easy, just the way I like it.  I put on my grubby shorts,  grabbed a cup of coffee and headed out the door. My destination was the swing in my front yard.  My plan was to listen to all the different birds we have in our neck of the woods---literally---wake up and start their day.

It was awhile before I reached the swing and it is only about 40 feet from my back door.  As I rounded the corner of the house, I saw a hummingbird trapped in the first bird feeder that hangs under the eve of my house.  Somehow it had slipped through the perch and became lodged.

 The little female was trying desperately to get herself free. However, the more she tried the worse she made things. Even for birds this appears to be an undisputed fact.

 I put my coffee down and tried to help her. As tiny as she is, she was completely stuck. Her fragile body was losing bits of  feathers. One wing was under the feeder by now and the other was flaying the air.  When I touched her, for a second she stopped moving. I know my hand must have scared her even more than she already was. I could feel her tremble.  I talked softly to her, hoping to maybe relieve some of her anxiety.  It didn't work!

I saw what had to be done.  Unfortunately, it was going to hurt. She wouldn't understand, however  I had no recourse.  So I began to slowly pull her little body out through the opening. It wasn't easy and I was afraid I had broken the wing under the feeder.  Finally she was free and in the palm of my hand.  For about 3 seconds she didn't move. That scared me. If she couldn't fly, I knew I would take care of her as best I could. Hummingbirds are made to be free. To defy science and add beauty and magic to life in general. Not to be caged up and fed on good intentions.

Then she flapped her wings several times and flew away. It was the first time I ever held a hummingbird in the palm of my hand. That is one more desire to check off my 'bucket list'. Her heart really does beat as fast as the books say. So tiny and fragile, and yet a plan for helicopters originated from watching these little bits of magic fly.

I don't know if she will ever come back to my house. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't, and I will never know if she does. It would be nice to think that she will come back. And even nicer to believe she said a  silent "thank you" as she flew away.

                                 
This postcard is a watercolor  entitled "I Hear Spring". created by hissnhowl. I bought it to trade but I kept is because I knew sooner or later I would need it in a blog. Some secrets just have to wait for the story to occur.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment