Monday, May 28, 2012

Waiting for the Storm



I have waited all day for it to rain. The forecast gave us a chance of rain but it was sunny and hot most of the day. Occasionally a cloud would slip over and tempt us with a hope of much needed rain. The cloud would leave much like an after thought. Here then gone.

It was a beautiful sunset tonight. Shades of yellow, dark pink and lavender. A dark cloud rolled across the sky for only a minute or two.  In that particular cloud I could see a woman's face, looking South as she raced across the sky. Her long dark hair was flowing in the wind, high above the trees.  She lasted only a moment then merged into other clouds, other shapes and other colors.

During that small space in time, she was indeed beautiful tempting me with a small chance of rain as her hair grew darker, and more unruly.

Slowly the sun set. It only takes about seven minutes to set once the process begins.  What a curtain call it gives. I love this time of day.  As I walked back to the house, I remember thinking 'it's not gonna rain' and wishing it would. It has been over twenty days since our last rain. There are cracks in the ground an inch wide. The only good thing is that it is too hot for the grass to grow.

Memorial Day was a good day. Families gathered to eat and enjoy each other's company. To laugh, tell stories and remember family veterans who have already passed away.  The television had it's tributes of World War 11 movies.  As always, we watched "Midway".  Love that movie.

It was a day of mixed emotions. But a good day none the less. As I am about to close the dogs are barking at the back door. They want in. Tommy is in his chair with the remote clutched in his hand, channel surfing. My daughters and grandchildren are safe and all three had a good day.  I am getting ready for a hot shower and I hope I just heard a small rumble of thunder. If nothing else there should be some beautiful heat lightning tonight.

It was a good day in my part of the world. I wish the same for you all, where ever you are.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog, as always. I hope you get the rain. We had a gully washer yesterday from Beryl. But we really needed it. Like you were are so dry. Lots of fires starting and the rain really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we got a smidge of rain, wanna hear something ironic? The only puddle is in the seat of my lawn mower:) Mother nature still has her sense of humor:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have seen "Midway" many times over the years...Of these other old war movies, I still remember "Tora, Tora, Tora", "The Longest Day", and "Battle of the Bulge"....Fruitlessly looked for videos of "None But The Brave" and "Back to Bataan"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those movies too. They are great war shows. If I see any of the 2 movies you want I will get them.

    ReplyDelete