Friday, November 9, 2012

3 a.m. Thoughts

When I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning, I had no clue why I was awake, other than to write a blog.  I knew there was a story to be told. I just didn't know what story.

Several blogs were going through my mind, however they never materialized. I jotted down a few notes to use at a later date in  case the story decides to be told.

I read a few of my favorite blogs.  Joined a group of like minded writers, mostly I just wandered around the Internet with no particular goal in mind, picking up a few snippets here and there.

After two cups of pumpkin flavored coffee and a trip to 'Snoops',  I found my story.

It was hiding in plain sight on the "Writers Platform" website. There was a picture of a young World War 11 veteran, then and now.  His name is Dennis Wilson. He is 91 years old and a 'war poet'. Sixty eight  years after D-Day he finally had his journal of poems published. Poems he wrote later in the day, after fighting in battles and witnessing truths unkind to his mind. Truths that seldom leave for any length of time.  Truths that can occur in the midst of Christmas dinner or when alone while fishing.

The poem I read was entitled "Aftermath".  The author speaks from his heart,  feelings of a young husband and father thousands of miles away from any semblance of his former life.

Mr. Wilson does not glorify war or embellish his actions during war. He speaks with quiet discord the horrors of war on young men, women and children. He talks of killing the enemy in a "kill or be killed" automatic mode. He gives his insight on being in battle and watching his fellow soldiers being killed and thinking to himself with relief----it wasn't him. Relief was followed closely by guilt.

One poem, one man, many wars before him and after his wartime service. He speaks of a peace that most of the world longs for but seldom can grasp for any length of time.

Today, our granddaughter Jacy honors Tommy at her school for his service in the military. We are very proud of himI believe each man and woman who has served their country honorably needs to be thanked, honored and remembered. They took liberty one step further than most of us ever will.

I will write another blog about this event today. It is already forming in the outskirts of my mind. I will also order Dennis Wilson's book, "Elegy of a Common Soldier" There are some things that need to be remembered and passed along to the next generation. I think his thoughts might be one of them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment