Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Computer Hell and Wi-Fi

  Today started out to be a normal kind of day. There was a trip to Jefferson City, some grocery shopping, and a few bills to pay.   It was basically my typical Monday.  The only new occurrence happened when I stopped by Kingdom Telephone Company and signed up for Wi-Fi. It has finally reached my neck of the woods...literally.

I originally went in to download some books I had purchased on Amazon over the weekend. I do this all the time. The men who work there recognize me and wave, knowing I do not need help. When I am done I holler "Thank y'all" and leave. Today was different. I downloaded my books, then I saw a sign saying I could get Wi-Fi at my home. It will only be an additional $5.00 a month. I was thrilled.

Immediately I walk up to the desk and tell them what I want. They produce a slip of paper for me to sign. When I am done, the man takes it and asks me for my phone number. I give it to him and wait. He comes back and wants to know whose name the phone is listed in. I tell him Tommy's  and he tells me that Tommy will have to sign and give me "permission" to purchase the Wi-Fi. My mouth fell open. I could not believe my ears. We have been customers of theirs for over 33 years. We have been married almost 43 years. The time for Tommy having to sign or give me permission is so far in the past I can't remember the last time it happened.

The man starts laughing. He realizes how silly this is but it is a policy and has to be followed. He gives me a stamped envelope already addressed and my Wi-Fi.  One problem down, one to go. They have to explain how I hook up this little box. It sounds easy, it looks easy. I leave the store excited---then I arrive home. It was not easy. It should have been but it wasn't.

A black cat ran in front of my car on 'Broken Bridge Road', that should have given me a heads up in what was about to follow. 

When I finally arrived home, I gave the letter to Tommy and told him about my adventure. He looked at me, looked at the letter and said, "I don't want Wi-Fi!" I knew he would say that. I was ready for that remark. "You don't want a phone either but we have one!" He signed, informing me, ' I owe him big time'. Hmmmmm

Hooking the Wi-Fi up was easy, getting the computer to recognize it was impossible. It wouldn't let me on my Google page at all, or any other page for that matter.  It was completely oblivious to my new $5.00 contraption.

 I called KTIS help line. I bet they dread seeing my number pop up. I can just here them now, "You talk to her, I talked to her last week!!  "I don't care I have more seniority than you---take the call!!" A polite young man was forced to take my call....for the next 70 minutes we were in computer Hell!!!

I traveled places in my computer I didn't know existed. He was very patient with me.  Half way through our venture, I was so exasperated I said, "Who thinks up this shit???" It took him by surprise and then he started laughing. His reply was "some college kid"...probably him.  We worked for another 20 minutes, he finally told me he had done all he could do. He gave me a ticket number and told me someone would be in touch within 24 hours.  I imagine he collapsed as soon as he hung up the phone.

After I hung up, I unplugged the WiFi, put it back in the box and reconnected my DSL or whatever the other box is called. I also shut the computer down but did not turn her off.  Honestly, I was afraid to turn her off.  I had a feeling she would never get back up again.  I really wouldn't blame her at all...she has been horribly violated today. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment