Monday, January 13, 2014

Spring Break in Missouri...



Tommy and I have lived in mid Missouri for close to 35 years. We have endured all sorts of weather extremes. It can be hot as Hell here in the summer. There is no "dry heat" in Missouri. As soon as summer finally arrivesthe humidity bursts on the scene, seldom leaving for any length of time until Fall makes her entrance. If you should happen to have natural curly hair...you will not have a 'good hair day' for four months.

Winters vary in length and  severity. Sometime the snow is measured in inches, at other times it is measured in feet. However, there are usually a few days  in January when Missouri is allowed to conjure up the perfect spring day. Yesterday was such a day. The temperature rose to 65 degrees. Last week the temperature hovered below zero for days on end. Wind chill records were broken all over the state. Yesterday made up for that week. It was a perfect day to be outside.                                                          

 The day was sunny, windy and begged to be photographed. As much as I wanted to see the Broncos play football,  I wanted to see the Missouri River more. I am glad we took the trip. The river was the prettiest color of azure blue. It is seldom that color however, the sunlight and the ice created a new look for a muddy river. The light reflections were intense. Looking at the water made me smile.

The ice chunks were beginning to break up as the water did its magic and silently moved through the cracks in its thick, frozen armor. 
                   
 

As soon as we arrived at the river I saw Missouri's answer to Stonehenge. I could not stay away from these broken trees and stacked rocksFor over an hour I let my imagination roam freely. 

 It was a good day to be quiet, allowing nature to make all the noise. Like a pair of ink blots, Tommy and  I tried to soak up as much beauty as we could.

After a few hours,  it was time to take the long way home.  The Broncos won without my help...that made me happy too. It was a good day in my corner of the world.

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment