Monday, June 23, 2014

Visiting Key West...Bucket List Number...15...

We stopped on the island of Islamorada, our last patch of grass,  before we were in Key West.  Sunset was about two hours away. As we were unpacking the car we could hear a band playing in the distance. We were pretty sure we knew where we were going to dine that night. The smell of the ocean was everywhere, temperatures were beginning to cool and we were ready to be out of the van for at least the next 12 hours.

We walked  in the direction of the music and followed the aromas.  Suddenly we rounded a corner and straight ahead was Number 15 on my Bucket... The Lorelei Restaurant and Cabana Bar.  In my imagination I have dined here every evening I thought of Key West,  even though I did not know it existed.  My imagination was coming to life right before my eyes. I was beyond excited.


The place is gorgeous,  spacious and  expensive.  As we walked  closer to the restaurant we passed a marina with every kind of boat and yacht  imaginable. I smelled money, lots of money. I looked at my pink flip flops and laughed.






 
 

We decided to eat in the Cabana Bar area. It was huge, outside with a full blown party in progress.  A band played while we dined,  as we were finishing a magician began to perform. Lynn and I were like two spider monkeys...in our chairs and up and gone to take a photo of the sunset and harbor. The colors were ten points beyond perfect.

Everything about the night was what I was hoping Key West would hold.  This was just the beginning.

As strange as this may sound, I do not remember what I ate. I know it was delicious and the Margaritas were outstanding...all three of them.  I was soaking up the atmosphere, watching people, taking mental notes while letting my muse party with the band.


The night was beautiful. Each photo taken of the sky and water were more beautiful than the one before, yet none of them could capture what we were experiencing.  Some shots were close however, close isn't there.





                                                   





    
I had my 'perfect night' in Key West and it was every bit as exciting as my imaginary trips have been.  My photos do not do it justice. When I check number 15 off my Bucket List I will put a star by it...a well earned star. Number 16 is a few hours away.  The southern most part of the United States, Key West...I will be there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment