Monday, December 6, 2010

Now What...

     

After retiring in 2009, it was time to do all the things I had wanted to do for years.  I had kept a journal of hobbies I wanted to pursue, places I wanted visit and stories I wanted to write.

The journal was hard to decipher.  My moods and interests changed often.  I would throw in a random thought for a story, a name I liked for a character or a quote that took root in my imagination and refused to wilt.

My hobbies were just as varied as the stories I wanted to write.  I wanted to learn how to make quilts, grow container gardens, make fairy homes out of gourds I had grown in my garden.  I wanted to turn a boat into a flower bed. I also wanted to raise chickens, goats  and become as self sufficient as possible. Fly fishing was at the top of my list along with camping all over the United States with Tommy, my husband of forty years.  

Tommy and I were through being 'responsible adults' it was our time to turn loose and have fun. No more time cards to punch in and out. No more living by the hands on a watch. Answering the phone became optional. No longer would we be 'the Night Shift people".  We would sleep when we wanted to sleep and never set an alarm clock.  We would see more dawns and sunsets.  We would try our hand a being free...really free.

This is how my blog came into existence. I wanted to record our lives for our daughters and grandchildren or anyone else who cares to share our story.  So many memories to tell, adventures to share and secrets that can now be told.

Tommy has told me since I was 19 that it did not take much to make me happy.  We would laugh because we knew it was true. That became the name of my blog: "It Doesn't Take Much to Make Me Happy..."  Truer words were never written.


               

3 comments:

  1. Mama, this is wonderful!!! Good luck on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, ditto. The biggest reason I started blogging is that I needed a schedule like I had when I was working. A little pressure, a little adrenaline. You will be amazed at what you can do. You are a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can actually relate a lot to what you said here about becoming complacent while at home. In the beginning I needed it badly. My last job had taken a lot out of me, emotionally and physically and my broken spirit needed time to heal. The first few weeks were great because I had a to-do list of house chores which had been neglected for years. Slowly however, I fell into the habit of doing very little each day and finding myself losing track of my goals. I love relatable stories. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete