Friday, December 10, 2010

Twenty Years Really does make a Difference

        Today the temperature was in the 50's. The sun was shining with just a light wind. But this is Missouri and by tomorrow night we have rain, changing to snow (not much if any accumulation) BUT the wind chill will be -15 .Sunday, the low is 11 and Monday it is supposed to be 6. So with this in mind, we decided that we needed to bring more wood up closer to the house. We have always enjoyed doing this ( when the weather is nice) today was no exception. We worked hard for about 3 hours. I was exhausted and Tommy still wanted another load of wood brought and stacked at the house. We did it. I knew he was right but still ,I was running on empty and so was he. Finally, he agreed to quit. Yes!!!  I put on a pot of coffee. We sat outside and drank in the clean air and sunshine. It was the best coffee of the day.

I had filled up all our bird feeders earlier. The birds are delighted, Now they have a reason to fight each other.  I think birds act like mental patients. They refuse to share. Always picking on someone smaller. Excessively messy and not particularly hygienic. But I like them , just like I cared for the mental patients.
My grandmother, Mamamae, once told me that Cardinals mate for life. I really don't know if this is true or not, but I believe Mamamae. We have several pair of Cardinals that winter around our house. This morning, I was in the den, watching them. Evidently one couple had a disagreement last night. As I was watching them, it really did look like the female was mad at the male. He flew in first and landed on the ground and began to eat. The female flew in a couple seconds after him and landed on a branch above him. He flew up where she was, and immediately she flew to the ground. He tilted his head to the left and flew down. She looked him in the eye and flew back up to the branch. They looked at each other and then both flew off in opposite directions. Hmmmm,. wonder if they will make up tonight.?  

Tommy and I  are starting to get sore. My back is killing me and Tommy says he hurts all over. We can't wait until 9 p.m. to go to bed...unheard of normally around here,. I hope the birds have a better night than we will!!!  Talk to you all later----twenty years does make a difference in  a person's body and in  the mind. Twenty years ago I probably would never have noticed the Cardinals or made up a story to go with their actions. Today, I am glad I did.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, my grandmother was totally occupied by her mockingbirds. Maybe it's an Age Thing, but a good one. I just put out a feeder for the flock of finches that was here two days ago. They seemed to have moved on, and so far the feeder is just hanging out with no customers in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that when folks find true joy in life, they begin to notice and appreciate the smaller things in life. They remember to look at the birds, admire the sunrise, and enjoy little moments of magic. :) Well done, Mama! Another good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminds me of the fascination for birds I had years ago. I would get up every morning early and feed the ones that would habitually come to visit my yard (a lot of Caribbean birds - bananaquits, blue-grey tanagers, keskidees etc).

    ReplyDelete