Sunday, September 25, 2011

Every Now and Then

While Tommy and I were on vacation we spent a lot of time at the ocean. Every second we could squeeze in, we  were there.

My idea of paradise, has an ocean with the whitest sand and the best sea shells. Where each night at the pier, a crowd gathers to watch the sun set and give a cheer as it slides slowly into the ocean.

On our second trip to the pier, we started out walking together. However, somewhere along the way I lost Tommy and did not know it.  He was originally walking on my left side--a little behind me. He wanted to wait for Lisle, our son-in-law.  I was in a hurry to get to the beach. He stopped and I kept going.

We were one of the first ones there. The sky was azure blue with white billowing clouds. It was a perfect looking morning. There were no more than 20 people in my sight. Mostly older people--all shapes and sizes.  

Plenty of room to enjoy and not be part of a huge crowd. I am jealous of my time with the ocean. I want to soak up as much as I can, for as long as I can. I know in all probability it will be a year before I see her again.

I was so excited.  As I walked along I was in the process of telling Tommy what I planned to do, when I turned to see that the man I was talking to, was not Tommy. 


I said, "Excuse me, I thought you were my husband". He had a delightful accent and said, "I am a husband" I laughed and said, "Yes, but you aren't my husband" Then he started laughing, "No, no my wife is on the beach, we are from Portugal."

They were in the United States for the first time. His English was good. His wife did not speak any English that I heard. They were an older couple probably in their early 70's. Both of them were small in stature and had eyes that had laughed a lot in their time together. 

                                   
His wife played in the surf and enjoyed the sun's rays. He spent most of his time in a chair not far from his wife, just enjoying the view.

They were a fun couple to watch.  Eventually the heat became too intense and they moved under the dock, not far from where I sat.

She wanted an ice cream cone. He bought her a chocolate double dipper and a strawberry slushy to drink. They shared a soda, ice cream and some laughs. It wasn't long until they were back in the sun and ocean. They showed the familiarity of a couple who had been together for a long time. An easiness that comes with age and time spent together.


I was about to get in the ocean again when a young couple came strolling by, hand in hand. Both of them were tall and lanky, with an easy going stride and a quick smile for strangers. 

The older couple and I watched them stroll by. They whispered to each other and then looked at me and nodded.  I smiled and nodded back to them.  Each of us remembering for a minute how it felt to be  very young and lean; able to wear spandex without a single doubt.


I snapped a picture of the young couple.  We gave each other a thumbs up and laughed.


I sincerely hope the young couple enjoys life as much as we have....as much as the older couple probably have. And when it is their turn to sit on the beach and watch a younger version of themselves walk by, to be able to smile, be thankful and give a thumbs up to a life worth living.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great story!
    I hope someday I can also express my thoughts and feelings so beautifully and heartfelt)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments and for sharing time with me. If you want to write----start now. Everyone has a story to tell. I would love to hear yours.

    ReplyDelete