Thursday, September 1, 2011

The World According to Charlie



Two of the 20th century's biggest news stories, were reported to me by the same mental patient, I had known for years.  Each time he told me the news, I did not believe him.

The first news break was when the Soviet Union had it's revolt.  The t.v. was on in the large day room and slowly but surely the ward was coming alive.


Patients and staff alike were drinking coffee, trying their best to get motivated to begin life in a world completely opposite to the world at large.

I was taking the regular morning B/P's on the scheduled patients, that for medical reasons needed this procedure done.

Charlie comes running up to the desk window, all a buzz about the" Soviet Union is collapsing"  I remember telling him to "lay off the coffee for awhile, he was getting too hyped up."

He was rather aggravated with me for not "jumping at the news." I was busy, and truthfully I did not believe him.

This is a man who sees ghosts, talks to the Pope and travels with invisible chickens.  He is likable, just not all that competent in his reporting of what he sees and hears.  

He came back in just a minute saying "Please, come look at the t.v. You have got to see this!!!!  There are soldiers and tanks everywhere."

I grabbed my coffee cup and followed him to the day room.  Sure enough, everything he was telling me was the truth. We sat down and by now the day room was getting full. Not a word was said by anyone but the news broadcaster.  

Usually the ward is quiet in the mornings, but there is always someone who wakes up in a bad mood or in another world.  If they did that day, they kept quiet. None of us could believe what we were seeing.  On a mental ward for the criminally insane---that is a BIG deal!!

After about 30 minutes, it was time for breakfast. Our daily routine was about to begin. I turned the t.v. off, promising we would watch it later.  

Charlie looked at me and said, "See I told you so----I am not crazy ALL the time!!!" That was debatable, but that morning he was spot on in what he said.

The next news break from Charlie was Aug. 31,1997.  I was once again coming in to work. He is waiting for me at the desk. He headed for the door as I came in, I gave him one of those "don't cross that line look" and he stopped and waited for me to get to him.

Charlie said, "Princess Diana was killed this morning in a car wreck!!! She's dead, Vicky, she's dead!!"  I was numb. I really didn't believe him.

She was too young and vibrant to be dead. Charlie was in the coffee---again. 

I put my purse away and started to work, when Charlie came back to the desk. He said, "Please come see for yourself."  By this time everyone was talking at once and it was all about the accident.

I once again grabbed my coffee and ran to the day room.  All eyes were glued to the t.v. Charlie and I were watching unbelievable truths.  He in his world, me in mine. We didn't say anything for the longest time.  It was hard to absorb this fact. It was making Charlie nervous to watch the news. He bit his fingernails to the quick. I told him that everything would be alright---eventually.

Finally he says with a smile, "See, I told you it was the truth!!!  I'm not crazy ALL the time." We both laugh at that, remembering the last time he said that exact same thing to me.  And I still think to myself, "That is debatable." 

It has been 14 years, since Princess Diana"s death. What a waste of a young life. So much has happened in the world. 

Today for some reason I wonder who Charlie is reporting the news to.  I guarantee there is someone, somewhere saying, "Now Charlie, wait a minute or give me some time, or better yet," Now Charlie you know that's not true." More than likely it will be, "Hang on a minute while I get my coffee!"

When they finally get to the t.v. and see for themselves, Charlie will feel vindicated and just a little smug.  After all, he's not crazy all the time, according to him. To me, it is still debatable.

2 comments:

  1. very interesting story!
    thanks for your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading it. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete