Friday, September 23, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly



My mailbox is over 50 years old.....and looks every day of it!!! 

It was here when we bought our home 32 years ago. It has been painted three times. Once when we first moved in, and then about 15 years ago, we turned it into a covered wagon. I painted it yellow and Tommy put on wheels from one of the girls broken baby buggies.

The last time it was painted, we sprayed it silver so our name and 911 address would show up in case of an emergency. 

I wanted to plant flowers around it, day lilies to be exact, but Tommy didn't want them. He was afraid the mail carrier would get stung by a bee. He is so much nicer than I am.  That never entered my mind. I just wanted a pretty mailbox. However, I agreed after I thought about it.

I usually decorate it for holidays. This summer I just let it go. It was too hot most of the summer for me to do much of anything outside.

One of my postcard friends wanted a picture of my mailbox.  I took one and when I saw the picture, I remember thinking, "That is the ugliest mailbox I have ever seen---and it is MINE!!!"

I showed the picture to Tommy and he was almost as shocked as I was.  Funny how people get used to looking at the same thing day in and day out. Somewhere along the way, they just stop "seeing" it at all.

We went to Fulton yesterday and bought a new mailbox.  It hasn't been put up yet. I was sitting in the swing thinking about what all that old mailbox has been through and all the news it has held for our family.

The whole history of our lives in Missouri has at one time or another passed through that old container. Birth announcements, party invitations, cards from people all around the world, scholarship awards and death certificates. It has run the gauntlet, from unemployment checks to social security checks and every other check or bill known to man.

Usually, the news has been good. I remember the day we received our deed to our home.  It was finally paid off.  We were jumping around like two kids.  One less thing to worry about.  One BIG achievement for us as a couple.

We will probably put up the new mailbox today. I am taking the old one out to my "hippie" spot--Matlache and I think I will turn it into a bird house. 

It has served it's purpose with us. I do wish I had taken better care of it though.  For the birds, I think I will paint it red and put some decals on it and let them finish the decorating, as I am sure they will do. 
In the Spring there should be new life in it--that is always a good thing. 


Life goes on, people, places and possessions change. That is the cycle of life. We can't stop time or hold on to everything.  Most of life is spent--letting go.


At 3 p.m. today when the mail runs, I intend to be in the swing. I know my mail lady will be surprised and probably relieved that we have a new mailbox.  Knowing her, she will probably turn in our driveway and give me some grief about the fact that it took us over 30 years to "update". 


We will joke about it as she hands me the mail. I just thought of something, I talk to her all the time and I still don't know her first name.  Today, I will ask her.

2 comments: