Sunday, August 28, 2011

Man Without a Country --- Revisited

I first read "The Man Without a Country" written by Edward Everette Hale, when I was in high school. I was fascinated by the story. 

I took the story to heart, although I knew it was a piece of fiction.  My heart went out to Phillip Nolan, the main character of the story. To me his punishment did not fit his crime.

Fact and fiction are first cousins in this story. Aaron Burr was tried for treason in 1807. However, Philip Nolan did not exist as the supposed traitor and friend of Burr. There was no "co conspiracy" between the two men.

Philip Nolan was born and died in the imagination of the author.  However, Hale wrote with such passion and fervor that the story took on a true life version of its own. People believed that Philip Nolan was a real person. They mourned his loss of freedom and his death. They forgave him his lapse in good judgment.

It takes the author about 28 pages to get to the gist of the story, in an 1888 revision of this story I read last night. 

Philip Nolan was on trial with Aaron Burr for treason and in a fit of rage, Nolan angrily shouts words that forever haunted him. "Damn the United States! I wish I may never hear of the United States again!!"

The judge grants him his wish.  He is immediately taken to a United States Navy warship and is placed in exile on board, the first of many ships to be his home.  Strict instructions were given. Nolan would never again set foot on American soil, nor would anyone be allowed to mention America in his presence.
                 

I remember crying so hard when I read his fate. How often in anger had I said things that I did not mean? Forever is such a long time. Surely someone would rethink this situation.

Granted, these were harsh, horrible words that would haunt him until the day he died, but they were also spoken in a fit of rage.  The flip side of the coin, was the fact that Philip Nolan was on trial for treason.  Probably not the best move on his part to loose his temper and "damn America", even though  he was innocent.

On board all the ships he was assigned, he was treated with dignity and respect. He had his own  "state room" and was allowed his privacy. No one was allowed into his room, unless invited.

After about 50 years at sea, Nolan becomes very ill. He was an old man and he knew he was about to die.  He invited an officer to his room named Danforth.

There Danforth found a shrine to the United States.  The walls were painted with a tribute to America. There was a picture of George Washington, with a flag draped around it.  Over Nolan's bed he painted an eagle with lightning bolts blazing from his beak, while his claws grapple the globe. Also resting on the foot of his bed, is an out of date map, drawn as best as he could remember.

Danforth had pity on Nolan and began to tell him everything he could about America. He filled the map in for him. He tells him everything that has happened to the United States since Nolan has been exiled.

The only thing Danforth leaves out is the impending Civil War. He didn't think Nolan's heart could bare to hear that truth.


For the first time in 50 years, Nolan seemed at peace.  He knew the story of his homeland that he missed and loved so much. The pain of dying was nothing, compared to the pain of being banished from America. He truly became a man without a country.

He asked to be buried at sea, since that had been his home. Supposedly, he was.  However, he wanted a gravestone to be placed either at Fort Adams, Mississippi or at New Orleans.

Oddly enough for a piece of fiction, such a stone actually exists.  This is one of the places on "my bucket list" that I want to visit and investigate for myself.

This story was written in 1863. In hopes of stirring up
patriotic feelings for the Union.  I do not know how many people this story effected. But I do know the power it had over a 14 year old girl, reading it for the first time in English class.


While my class was in the process of growing up, the Viet Nam war was escalating. The war waited for us. Many of my friends and some family went to Nam. It is a period in our history that still remains a puzzle. And haunts the dreams of thousands.


Never in my wildest dreams can I imagine myself spitting on an American soldier. Nor standing by silent and still watching it happen. It makes me angry to just write these words.  However, I remember seeing it on t.v. when it happened.

I also know first hand how angry a person can become with it's government. I am at such a place now. I cannot fathom "Damning America".  However, I can quickly let words fly concerning politicans and their decisions they make effecting my life and my country.


Supposedly on Philip Nolan's marker is inscribed the following. "In Memory of Philip Nolan"  Lieutenant in the Army of the United States.  He loved his country as no other man has ever loved her; but no man deserved less at her hands."


Can I hear an "Amen" to that?  Not really!!


              

No comments:

Post a Comment