Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Welcome Home Honey

I have been gone off and on for two weeks. When I got home Sunday, Tommy was working in the garage.  I got out of the car, gave him a kiss and told him briefly about my trip. Before I could even get unpacked I heard the back door open and a "Hey, Babe I need your help, for just a minute outside"

That was probably the very last words I wanted to hear. As far as I was concerned, I was DONE for the day. In Tommy's eyes, not by a long shot, was I done.  I had helped other people and now it was his turn to receive my help!


He had the riding lawn mower in the back of the truck and he wanted to unload it. That was fine with me....just do in reverse what you did to get the mower in the truck in the first place.  However, this was not his plan----enter Vicky.


He pulled out two long boards to use as ramps.  My job was to stand on the "ramps" while he backs the mower down them.  This did not sound like something I really should be doing. Surely, there was a Plan B somewhere.

A thousand questions ran through my mind.  "was this the mower with no brakes?"  "just how fast is he going to back down once he starts?"  "will I be able to get off the ramps before the mower reaches me?" "is he trying to kill me?"


My plan before he started to roll down the planks was to get the heck out of the way!!!


Tommy rocked the mower and it wouldn't budge. Once it started to move I screamed and he stopped--- at least I know this mower has breaks!!! To say he was just a tad bit put out with me...is an under statement!!  


He starts the process again and about 1/3 of the way down, I jump off the boards!!  He lands that thing and is baffled that I ever doubted his plan.  Why, I will never know.


Next question from his lips to my ears "Do you want to mow?"  Do I ever want to mow---very seldom.  I am so ready for that damn grass to die.


This winter I will miss the grass and all the work that goes with keeping the yard looking nice.  However, it is August and I am done with gardening and mowing!!!  Unfortunately, it is not done with me. I didn't mow, but he did for a little while.  I made my escape to the house,  got on my computer to see what everyone else was doing.  


I had just started talking to Celeste in Portugal, when the mower stops and Tommy sticks his head in the door---again!!!  

Famous last words of the day, "Hey, babe I need your help again!!!" How many times have I heard that?  I get off the computer to go outside and "help"---only to find the belt on the mower came off.  


Did I mention, I hate that damn mower? Here we go ---again. 

I AM HOME!!!!!   No matter how irritating "home" can be at times, being there is a good thing.  Sometimes it just takes a little while to remember that fact.



No comments:

Post a Comment