Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Good Company, Good Book and Welcomed Rain

Today is one of those days when the rain is slow and steady like molasses pouring from a Mason jar.  The sky is a stone gray, stained with dark cloudsThe ground is in the midst of a delirious drink fest.  The holes in the cracked earth remain wide open, begging for more water.

It is one of those days when the best plan is no plan. I am wearing my" grubby clothes "and plan to enjoy the atmosphere. Relax, and just watch the day unfold. No room for hurrying today.

Breakfast for Jacy, Logan and me was peanut butter on a spoon. The kids wanted water and I drank coffee.  We sat at the kitchen table and laughed at each other, as we licked our spoons. One of the best breakfast's I've had in awhile.

My partners in crime wanted to play the Wii, and I had found a new author that has my attention for awhile. Sherman Alexie. This book is a collection of short stories about life as an Indian entitled "The Toughest Indian In the World". It is totally different from what I was expecting. That's fine by me---I like surprises. 

First line of the book is a great hook. "Regarding love, marriage, and sex, both Shakespeare and Sitting Bull knew the only truth: treaties get broken." Wish I had written that!!!  

If I do not finish this book before Thursday morning, Mr. Alexie is going home with me. If I do finish it, which I will, he may go home with me anyway.

The natives were getting restless around noon.  A trip to McDonald's and a loud round of playing in the kids play area settled them down a little.

The rain began to get heavier.  The thunder started to stomp and roar across heaven, scaring Jacy. We cut our outing short and came home, after a pit stop at the grocery store.

It has been a good day in my corner of the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment