Saturday, August 13, 2011

Going to Kansas City---Kansas City Here I Come"




I love going to Kansas City.  It is the right size city for me. It is not so big that I get lost every time I turn around, but it is big enough to always have something new to see and do.

Melodi has lived there twice and each time we have added new memories. Christmas of 2004, we attended the "The Nutcracker" performed by the Kansas City Ballet Company.  The Kansas City Philharmonic Orchestra accompanied the performance. It was my first ballet and I found it amazing, engrossing and very sensual. I loved it.

Last year we took a weekend to see the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. 


Not only was it huge, it was impossible to see everything in one day. However, we were not leaving until we had seen Claude Monet's "Water Lilies".  Sometimes a person needs to stop, look and listen. That is how this painting affected us. We sat and soaked up the beauty of fluid color.


 













We have eaten and drank our way through this city.  Mostly ate, however at the Salty Iguana, I was introduced to the best beer I have ever tasted. "Boulevard Beer". It is a wheat beer.  I had my doubts about it at first, my mind was soon changed. It is so smooth and delicious. My favorite beer by far, now.

While I am not a big drinker, by any means. I do enjoy a cold beer or two on a hot day. Usually Tommy and I are fishing when we indulge, or are eating Mexican food. I have to admit, it is a toss up as to which is better with Mexican food, beer or margaritas. The best margaritas I have ever drunk were in New Orleans, the worst--in my kitchen.



This has been the year of house sitting and spending time with my best friend Carol, in Kansas City.  We roamed around antique malls and little out of the way shops. It was a fun summer with a lot of memories to rehash when it is -10 and snow is knee deep to a monkey's butt.

I went to Kansas City this weekend to help Melodi and Jennifer pack for their move to Richmond, Virginia.  This is a good move for them.  I support the move whole heartily but I sure am going to miss them.

I have so  much fun with my daughters, they are all grown, wonderful young women. The pressure is off of me to raise them. Now I can enjoy them as friends. The things we talk about and do are priceless. If it seems like a good idea to someone, and it will, then before you know it everyone is on board and we are off and running toward the next "good idea".  That is one reason Tommy always says "No bail money" before we leave.

As I write this, I wonder why I am so prone to let time get away from me.  Melodi has been home 14 months, why didn't I go to see her at least 14 times? There always seemed to be a good excuse. Too hot, too cold, snow, rain, just a busy life in general. Now I wish I had tossed the excuses and took the 3 hour drive. 

I shouldn't complain, I have had a great 14 months with Melodi and Jennifer. The holidays, the weekends they came home. The weekends I went to see them. Melodi's birthday- the bonfire, fire works  and the hay ride. Not to mention dynamiting a pumpkin!!!! I told you, that if someone has an idea, one of us will think it is a good plan:) And it really was dynamite!!!

Unfortunately, soon it will be back to once or twice a year. I know on those occasions, we will all have so much fun---that is a given. However, I will painfully wish I had made more time for the really important thing in life---time for family and time for many more visits.

If I had known we only had 14 months, things would have been different.  But I didn't--no one knows what the future holds for any of us. We are all only given so many days, we really shouldn't waste a single one of them.  Lesson learned....I hope.

I am looking forward to all the new adventures we will have in Virginia. Let's see, I have already started my list of places to go and see. 

Washington D.C. is at the top of the list.  As much as I gripe about that place, I am so anxious to see it for myself.  All the history contained there--not mention all the b.s.--- I want to see it first hand--in person. When I have been to D.C. it will be another item I can cross off my "bucket list"

Since I first wrote this blog, a lot has changed. The East Coast has had it's first earthquake in 140 years or 80 years, depending on which news channel is telling the tale.

It appears that the beautiful home Melodi and Jennifer rented, is 30 miles from the epicenter of the quake zone.


Jennifer's Mom and family live near the ocean in Virginia and there is a hurricane headed their way.


This only reinforces a well known fact, if you want to make God laugh---tell Him your plans!!!


All systems are still go. As I write this, I am throwing salt over my shoulder and knocking on wood.  It will be an adventure, that's for sure.


We leave Sept. 8th for Florida, to see Lisa and Lisle. Then October pretty much belongs to Melodi. I am excited.  Anything that starts out like this---has to have a good ending....I hope!











.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, so much of life is bittersweet. Sorry they're moving. I think we've learned this along the way: you CAN have it all...but not all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the perfect way to express what I feel and how I live. Thank you my friend Love, VIcky

    ReplyDelete