Thursday, May 16, 2013

If My Dogs Were Countries...Sabella Would be the State of Palestine...Sandy Would be Israel...




My two dogs behaved like warring countries this morning. Usually, they are extremely laid back, over grown babies with personalities more like Switzerland than any warring faction. Not so today. Sabella and Sandy, this morning, closely resembled ' Palestine' and 'Israel' after a night where each land,  lobbed one too many missile's at the other side.  They were  done with each other for awhile.

 Unfortunately, about this time I wake up

My dogs are waiting for me at the back door. They know I am feeding them first before I do anything else. They nibbled a bit then meandered out to the swing with me. I felt wonderful. Our yard and woods were filled with the early morning wake up calls of dozens of birds.  Yellow and blue finches were slinging bird food all over the yard. The hummingbird feeders were buzzing, as each little bird jockeyed for position at a feeder. As usual they were fighting within 30 seconds. I expect that from them and I enjoy their antisocial personalities.  If these birds were people, they would be locked up in Biggs or prison.

A few new flowers were starting to pop open;  new fronds on the ferns were unfurled a little more today than yesterday.

As I sat in the swing, I was pleased with my little corner of the world. Picking up my Kindle, I began reading "Pigs in Heaven" by Barbara Kingsolver. She is a favorite author of mine. When she writes, my mind's eye is filled with her images. She turns a phrase adding magic to very unconventional characters. I love it!  As an author, she has never let me down. I was pleased with life in general and her book in particular.

All of this bliss lasted a mere few minutes, then all Hell broke loose. My dogs began rough housing close to my feet. Each dog wanted my attention and for some reason did not expect to share the attention with the other.  Both dogs thought they were right and refused to back down. Once again, foreign lands come to mind. These dogs never fight...until today.  Their tempers went from " easy breezy good morning Vicky" to "get out of my way before I tear your leg off!"  I was caught in the middle...no place "Switzerland"  wanted to be.

 Quickly the fight became personal. My coffee cup was knocked out of my hand, taking with it the small table to my right. The dogs growled, hair bristled and teeth gnashed. I wasted my time yelling at them.  They were past hearing me. There was no room for a peace mediator.  I grabbed the girls collars trying to put some distance between them. They did not retreat nor did anything I tried work. They were fighting until one of them quit or got hurt. Thankfully it did not come to blood.  When  it was finally over, Sabella ran about 20 feet then stopped and looked at us.  Sandy moved about 3 feet away from me. She was as mad as I was because she turned her back on Sabella and me. About this time, Tommy wakes up. He comes charging out the back door asking what was going on. He heard me yelling and carrying on,  the dogs growling and barking and he wondered who we had pinned down.

The girls are giving each other extra room today. Finally, after several hours of Sandy staying in the front yard and Sabella eventually ending up in the back yard, they forgot they were mad and are playing together. 

I wish political situations could be solved as swiftly as this spat. I wish we could forget our differences, leaving room for a peaceful co existence. It will not happen for any length of time. Humanity isn't wired in such a way. We never have been, we never will be. Someone invents a deadly button and someone else has to push it.

                                                               Sabella aka 'Palestine"


                                        

                                                                   Sandy aka 'Israel'

No comments:

Post a Comment