Wednesday, May 8, 2013

It is Said That Silence is Golden...That Depends on Who is Quiet and Who Wants to Talk!...



When a couple is in a long term relationship,  there are times when silence is a welcomed sound. There are also occasions when one partner would like to talk and the other partner wishes he or she would just shut the Hell up!  Last night was such a night at the Carter house.

 We had enjoyed our day together. Most of our conversations flowed like a leaky faucet drips...steady with small pauses as we regrouped our train of thought. The conversation eventually tapered off last night to silence.

 I was engrossed in a book, about imaginary children, while waiting for one of my favorite t.v. shows," The Big C", to come on. I missed the show the first time it aired at  8 p.m. and had to wait until 10 p.m. to see it. That was fine with me. My book about imaginary friends was interesting and I was lost most of the night in their story. Tommy went to bed early, around 9 p.m.  My drama started around 10, when my show finally came on. It was as good as I thought it would be, well worth the wait.

 There are only two episodes and the series ends. Laura Linney and Oliver Platt, two of my favorite actors,  star in this comedy/drama about a woman dying of melanoma. The drama is about how Cathy's (Linney's) life changes and how her family responds to the changes in her. Cathy is an extremely detail oriented woman. A control freak who refuses to let go of anything she cannot change...even her death.  There are times it is laugh out loud funny and there are times I cry right along with her.  Tommy will never understand why I like movies and books that make me cry. On the other hand, I cannot understand why he likes to see coyotes shot...again and again.  It is these small differences that make us unique and compatible, for some strange reason, at the same time. We have never tried to change each other. We may have wanted to, but we didn't press the issues. We accepted the differences in each other. It has been the friendship that has seen us through the rough times.

Since the series is almost over, the drama side of the show has increased. Therefore, I cry more. Last night was no exception. When I finally went to bed,  I was still sniffling and crying. I was a mess to be truthful. I don't want 'Cathy' to die or the show to end. I, too would like to change things I cannot control.
  
However, when last nights episode was over, I was glad to see Tommy and thankful he was alive and well...he on the other hand was sound asleep and very content where ever he was.

 I started to put my arm around him when he turned over and I hit him in the face...Splat!!! Tommy woke up in a hurry and wanted to know why I hit him. I stopped crying and started laughing. I guess I should have apologized first, but I was glad he was awake. I knew he wasn't hurt. It was just a little thump on the nose. What I really  wanted was to tell him about the show. He could have cared less about the show. I knew this when I started the conversation, but I could not shut up. I had to tell him the story.

 He flipped over and went back to sleep, while I talked, laughed and cried a little more, giving him an in depth synopsis of the series. Finally I get sleepy and doze off, before I know it, I smell the coffee brewing. Tommy is up and ready to talk...I am not as anxious to talk as he is. It will take at least two cups of coffee before I really want to talk to anyone. I guess we will have to wait on the 'leaky faucet syndrome'  to kick in later today. And it will, I can't wait to hear his version of last night...if he remembers anything at all.  If he doesn't then I get to tell him my story all over again.  Either way we have the makings of a fairly good day at the Carter house.

No comments:

Post a Comment