Monday, May 6, 2013

It Was a Good Day in my Part of the World...



Today was a good day in my part of the world.  The sun was shining, the tree's continue to bud and leaf out. The woods are slowly filling in all the blank spaces winter left in its wake. The green leaves are colors straight from a box of 84 Crayola crayons I bought at least once a month when I was a little girl. There are shades of apple green, hunter green, spring green, yellow green  and a new color 'Osage Orange Green" to add to the mix. The woods are literally alive with shades of green.  It has been a long wait for these subtle changes. However, the wait was worth the beauty we are now enjoying

On the flip side, mud is in abundance everywhere I look.  In places, like parts of my front and back yard, it is knee deep to a monkey's butt. It is almost as slick as ice. Mistakenly, I wore a pair of plastic clogs I use for gardening shoes outside today.   While I was in the process of trying to refill our hummingbird feeders, I hit a strip of mud, sending me  slipping and sliding twenty feet before I stopped. My dance was not pretty, graceful or quiet however I did not fall in the mud. I did rip a piece of lattice trim off the front of the house, underneath the bird feeders. In the process, I scared off all the birds but I did not get a mud bath. Every year it takes the birds a few days to get used to my antics. I never get used to the mud.

Tommy and I made a quick trip to town early this morning. We needed more mulch, a few groceries and one beautiful amazing fern. As we were leaving Fulton, we met a group of men walking in single file on the side of the road, about seven or eight miles from the town. Most of the men walking were tall, thin black men.They were walking with a purpose and for a cause.  Humor was not on their agenda.

 The second man in line carried an eight foot wooden cross. On down the line, the seventh man carried a large American flag. None of the men were smiling or talking. Bringing up the rear, was a white male on a skate board. When he got tired of walking he rode his board.  As we drove closer to them, we smiled and waved. The first man, who was wearing a suit, smiled and almost waved at us. Traffic was behind us or we would have stopped and asked them what cause they were walking for today. I would have enjoyed taking their picture. I do not know if they would have allowed that or not. I wish I had the opportunity to have asked. Maybe they will be in tomorrow's paper.

The closer we drove to our home the more turkeys we saw crossing the road. We counted four...two hens, a jake and a bearded hen. We laughed because turkey hunting season closed Sunday. Tommy did not get a bird. It rained almost every day for three weeks. Today after the season is closed, Tommy sees four. Mother Nature was laughing at us, I do believe.

We worked most of the day outside. It was enjoyable and needed. The clouds started rolling back in late this afternoon. It looks like rain. The mulch is finally down. Some seeds have been planted and that most beautiful fern, who followed me home today has a place of honor  by the swing set and canopy. Late this afternoon I sat outside, drinking ice tea and reading. It was a  good day in my part of the world. I am very contented tonight as I watch the clouds race across the heavens trying to decide what their plans are for the night.









No comments:

Post a Comment