Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Turbulent Storms in Missouri...



 In Spring, the Missouri weather is turbulent more often than calm. Once the thunderstorms start rolling in from the West and the South, unpredictable weather patterns and forecasts become the main topic of conversation for Missourians.  The winds rotate, pitch and sweep keeping everyone in an uneasy state of expectation.

Most people closely monitor the National Weather Channel when the 'red boxes' begin to appear on our state map and on our surrounding statesWe know all to well the drill for those warnings.

Tornado's drop out of the sky and destroy any and everything in its path at a moments notice. This past week has been no exception. We have had storm after storm race through our back yards. The lightning and thunder bounced off of everything in its path. Our immediate area was sparred devastation. Oklahoma was not as lucky. Havoc rained down on Moore, Oklahoma. A mile wide swath of destruction plowed through the area leaving death, chaos and hell in its wake.

I was anxious, waiting to see where the tornado's would next touch down last night.  It had been a long day of uncertainty. The night's forecast held no promise of a truce.  No tornado's occurred and for that I am thankful. Truthfully we lucked out.  Tommy and I are used to this time of year. We even enjoy storms as long as they aren't deadly.

Last night was no exception. I unplugged my computer so lightning would not ruin it.  We watched  t.v. and periodically checked to see where the storms were headed. If the t.v. blows up, I don't care.  I can only take so much t.v. and I am done,  so I read for awhile.

 My mind kept going back to Moore, Oklahoma and the lives that were turned upside down. The homes that were ruined in  less than a minute. I sat thinking what would be some of our possessions I would want to keep above all else. I knew in a second what they were. I have an old green metal box that I keep all of our love letters from 1968-69. It contains old photos and memories I could never replace. I retrieved them from my art room and began once again to reread our past story. I love those letters and photos. Some of our conversations were so funny...and we meant them to be very serious. Every page is filled with excitement about our new lives together. They are written proof of old promises made and old promises kept.

In our wedding pictures, we were so young, handsome and pretty. It has taken me 40 years to be able to say I was a pretty bride...never once did I believe that. The tricks the mind plays on a person. The 'self talk' people hear in their minds should be uplifting, unfortunately it seldom is.
 
Each time I rummage threw this box something new catches my attention.  This time it was a budget Tommy and I worked out when we first got married. I had forgotten exactly how much money we did not have in 1969. Believe it or not, we were as happy as could be. The lack of money did not bother us at all. That is young love, life was exciting for us.

As I looked closely at the money situation I see we earned $256: we spent $227.54. According to our calculations we could save $45.56 a month, if we cashed the $17 a month U.S. bond Tommy bought when he first enlisted.  We did not save any money for ten years:)

Our rent was $130 a month. We allowed $60 for groceries a month. The one Tommy and I really laughed at last night was the $10 a month for gasoline.  Of course gas was 20 cents a gallon. When they raised the price to 50 cents a gallon,  during a gas war in Georgia, we were livid!!  We decided to wait them out and not pay that ridiculous price. Yesterday, I filled up my Blazer and it was $49. 27. 

One trip to the grocery store now is almost always $100 easy and we can pack it out in two sacks. I was teasing Tommy that we 'splurged' on his lunch money...then we figured it all up. He ate on 46 cents a day.

Of course things changed over the course of time. Tommy got promoted to Cpl. and received a raise. Then I got pregnant and there went the raise! However, after Lisa was born we received $25 a month to feed, clothe, and general care of our daughter.  It also only cost $25 for medical bills to have Lisa.

Last night when things were unpredictable,  the one thing I wanted to keep was an old green metal box full of love letters and faded photos. They are things I treasure. They are of no value to anyone but me and probably Tommy. They are the tangible memories from the past. When I read them I remember young love...word by word...line by line and I smile.



 
                                  
                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment