Thursday, May 30, 2013

Tommy Checks off Number 5 on His Bucket List...Catch a Shark...



Tommy Carter is a very happy man!! While we were in Florida, visiting Lisa and Lisle, Tommy caught a 7 foot...125 pound Bull Shark. He can now check off number 5 on his Bucket List!! 

Since Lisle has a nice 14 foot john boat, they were tooling around watching the girls and fishing in a place called the 10,000 Islands. Tommy said they were in about 5 feet of water when they hooked the shark. Trying his best to get away, the shark made a run for the open water pulling the boat out away from the island. The shark did everything he could think of to escape.  He went under the boat causing  the fishing line to get tangled and at one point he almost swamped the boat.  Sharks do not play fair but they do play long and hard, always pushing for the victory...what more can any fisherman ask for?  When he couldn't turn the boat over he made a run for freedom again,  pulling the line out as he went. Lisle and Tommy were all over the boat trying to keep the shark hooked and the boat upright. After a long, hot thirty minutes the shark was finally dead and in the boat. Tommy has a huge bruise close to his hip where he anchored the fishing pole as he and the shark fought and danced in the Gulf of Mexico. Lisle's hands were cut in several places. It was not an easy victory but well worth the fight.

Lisa and I were at the beach enjoying my favorite place on earth...the ocean. We had spent the afternoon there. A breeze was blowing in off the ocean, the water temperature was about 84 and it was close to 90 in the shade. Life was good. The guys got home not long after we did. Tommy was hot and tired and so excited. I think I probably took 40 pictures of Lisle, the shark and Tommy. This was an event I wanted to record in great detail.

                                                 



It is a tradition when a man gets his first big shark,  everyone takes a shot of tequila to celebrate. Far be it from us to break with tradition. Lisa bought out the tequila and toasts were made. I must admit that I really do like tequila. It goes down smooth and a little on the warm side once it lands and finds its happy place.
                                   

As soon as the tequila was downed and we got our breath back,  it was time to cut up the shark. Steaks were made of the thick white meat. I was surprised that the shark had green eyes, a huge liver and a tiny penis...no wonder they have such nasty personalities.
This little adventure answered a lot of unasked questions for me concerning sharks. I also think the tequila made the ' autopsy' much more enjoyable.

                               

Finally catching a bull shark was an adventure none of us will ever forget. Number 5 is finally checked off the bucket list. For Tommy it was definitely worth the wait. I am proud of him and for him. Next time it is my turn to get a shark. Truthfully, I am not quite as anxious to fight a shark as Tommy was. It is at the bottom of my Bucket List.  However if given the opportunity to catch a shark, I will not pass up the chance.  I have about as much luck catching a big shark as I do kissing Brad Pitt:) On second thought, I have a better chance with the shark!                            

                      

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment