Thursday, October 23, 2014

The 'Something Shiny Syndrome' Strikes Again...







This is my better half and partner in crime giving me his badass look.  I have seen that exact look about a thousand times this week...and it is only Thursday or Friday. We are retired. It really doesn't matter what day it is to us.  It is just one of those days that end in the letter 'y'. 

 "Honey, let's get the inside of the house ready for winter," were spoken on Monday I think.   Ah, it was music to my ears when my stud muffin first uttered those words. I broke out into song, "The Hills are Alive With the Sound of Music". I know every verse by heart.   However, what sounds good to me does not always mesh with the rest of the world.  The man at the left, Tommy, is pretty much 'the rest of my world to me.' His first words were and I quote, "Don't sing!!  We will keep the radio playing. OK?"  Hmmm... I can live with that. Immediately we began to make plans to buy all the essentials we would need to complete our project. As usual,  I sang ever so softly with the radio  all the way to town. Tommy smiled...he knew I would sing no matter what.

After a very expensive trip to Sutherland's, we began to work on our home.  The first day we put new sheet rock around the ceiling of the  wood stove. I am in charge of doing the 'putty' work. Of course it did not meet Tommy's standards.  However, I told him as politely as I could that it was the best I could do since "he left cracks the size of the Grand Canyon!" We both left that remark alone.

 We moved on to another project; since we were both a tad bit testy by now.  Neither of us could decide what we should do next. Enter the 'something shiny syndrome.' I took down the curtains and removed the pictures from our living room walls. He watched Judge Judy!  After Judge Judy ended Tommy was ready to put some wooden strips on the walls.  I took a nap.  That was day one.

Day two we took a load of books, clothes and nick knacks to Good Will.  We ate lunch out and then stopped by Ben's to see how he was doing.  We got home about 1 p.m.  As far as I was concerned our day was pretty much over.  I voted we start fresh tomorrow.  Tommy wanted to work so we worked. I cleaned Jacy's room so I could put all our photos and prints on her bed instead of the couch.  Tommy put up shelves in the laundry room.  That was not on our list. It is nice and we needed them but we have the living room, kitchen and den torn up. Not to mention Jacy's bed so we needed to stay focused and get the mess fixed we had already started. Our motto was stated again, "Have a plan and stick to it".  That lasted less than 24 hours when the 'something shiny syndrome' found us again.

We both woke up tired and did not want to work today.  Neither of us would say this but that is exactly how we felt. We piddled around. Did a little bit of this and not much of that. About this time we heard it begin to rain. Softly at first with only a few taps and splats on our tin roof. Tommy yells, "Get your shoes on and a baseball cap---we are burning our wood pile". " Yes!!!  Let me get my camera" I yell and we are off.  I love to watch fire burn.  It is mesmerising to watch and photograph. We didn't have a huge pile of debris to burn. It was enough for a nice distraction.

                             
 
We watched the flames for about thirty minutes. Tommy picked us a few persimmon's to eat.  The dogs came to join us. It was a nice couple of hours.



I walked around our woods taking a few photos of the trees since they are changing colors and loosing leaves. Most of the trees are muted shades of what should be breath taking Fall colors. They are pretty but not eye popping.  We usually take several drives through the country, down to the river or to the lake searching for the prettiest Fall tree.  We have a lot on our plate this Fall and I am not sure if we will make a short trip or not. All I know for sure is that Melodi and Lacey are coming home for Thanksgiving and the house HAS to be done by then.  And we have a long, long way to go. So far this week we have had two attacks of the 'something shiny syndrome' and I still do not know for sure what day it is! Tomorrow will be better...I hope.

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment