Thursday, October 2, 2014

We Picked the Wrong Day to Unplug...



  

   Since retirement Tommy and I have had a long standing disagreement concerning two major means of entertainment; the computer for me and the television for him. Both of these means of entertainment are addicting.  I never envisioned I would enjoy a computer as much as I do.  When I was working, I had a computer but seldom used it when I came home. Emailing someone was my preference and about as far as I ventured for several years.  Now I seldom use my email. I instant message if I want to talk to someone or pick up the phone and make the call. 

    THEN I retired in 2009 and discovered Face Book!! A whole new world, for me, was created literally.  I joined a postcard exchange group and met fascinating people from all over the world.  Soon I was hooked. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and see what I had missed on the other side of the world while I slept.  I don't trade postcards anymore but I still keep in touch with friends from all corners of the world.

    In the midst of the postcard trading I decided I wanted to write a blog and a few short stories.  Tami set up my first blog site for me. Thank God for her. She opened doors I did not know existed.  However, Tami is a lot like her mama and soon I was on her last nerve with questions and goof ups.  She very quietly handed me over to her boyfriend, Joey.  Now there is a saint!!!  He never got mad at me, or raised his voice...he did laugh a lot as I tried to explain what was wrong with my computer...it was usually 'pilot error'.  He tried his best to help me understand my mistakes.  Eventually I learned,  leaving me in a love/hate relationship with my computer.  The idea of giving up my time on the web never entered my mind.  However, it entered Tommy's mind quite often.

   Tommy enjoys watching the television.  I do for a little while but not any length of time.  It has to be something really interesting to hold my attention. We have forty million channels to view and I swear there are days NOTHING is on worth watching except the news and here lately that is becoming debatable...necessary but debatable.  Tommy's favorite daytime show is "Judge Judy".  I can not stand that woman.  She makes me want to snatch that little gavel of hers and do really mean things with it!! 

   This is where  we found ourselves last week. For the umpteenth time, Tommy said, "If you give up your computer...I will give up my t.v."  I always answered "No way",  but last week I thought why not.  Let's see what life would be like before computers and television. Our daughters thought we had gone insane. Our friends thought we would kill each other (that was an interesting view point) and my pastor laughed!

   We finally compromised and decided to unplug on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's. Our first day was yesterday and if I ever needed that damn t.v. it was yesterday!!  We had a great morning; visited town, ate breakfast out and did a little grocery shopping. Talked about our new life style and all the things we could do.  Of course I had paper and pen and created our "Unplugged List". It was a fun day. We had the radio on Country 96 most of the afternoon as we worked on shelving in the laundry room. That idea was premature. I have to clean the laundry room out before we can get to the walls to add shelves.  I have too many cans of paint in the way to work comfortably. That is job is for another Mon. Wed. or Fri.

    As we were trying to figure out the shelving problem, an alert came on the radio about the horrible storms headed our way.  I looked at Tommy and said, "What did that man say?"  He told me and then told me not to worry.  I suggested we turn on the t.v. to the weather channel and actually SEE where the storms were.  Tommy refused saying, "A deal is a deal and we can hear everything we need to know on the radio."  He was right.  However, when the d.j. said something about a "massive wall" heading down our road...I wanted to SEE this wall.  We were pounded by wind, rain, thunder and lightning all night. How the electricity stayed on I will never know. Tami called to let us know "you all picked a great day to go off line!" and laughed. I know she was worried about us... because she laughed and laughed then laughed some more:) 

    All in all it was a good day and I look forward to Friday when we unplug again.  Tommy is watching the weather channel now and I am in my writing room. The coffee is hot and I think I will go pour us a cup.  This is a good day too. I think we may have found a way to have priority time and fun together and apart. 

    Now all I have to do is stay busy during "Judge Judy" and I will call this adventure a success.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment