Friday, January 2, 2015

2014...In Review...Part Two...

Part two...



There are some things that are necessary to do before brain surgery and a trip to the Chocolate Factory was  at the top of the list.


There were also trips to her doctor's office followed by more trips to various other doctor's,  the pharmacist, the gas station and last but not least WalMart.  All too soon it was time to go to the hospital. July 22 finally rolled around faster than I anticipated.

                  
 
 
Lisa's surgery was a little over five hours.  As soon as she was brought back to recovery we were allowed to see her.  However,  she was in pain, sick to her stomach and needed rest. The doctor talked to us, saying the surgery went fine. He also said the tumor was being sent to the pathologist and he would let us know as soon as he found out anything. He removed 95% of the tumor.  We checked in on her hourly. The first night Lisle and I returned home.  Finding a place to sleep in a hospital is almost impossible--however I will save that rant for another blog.   We were back before daylight. When we arrived in ICU Lisa had a roommate. Lisa was still sick but her color looked better. Her roommate was a doozie!!  She gave everyone Hell.  I was glad when Lisa finally could leave Intensive Care and go to a step down unit.
 
I think this photo was taken on Thursday after surgery on Tuesday. The doctor released Lisa to go home late Friday afternoon. I thought I would have a panic attack. In my mind it was too soon.  Once again I was proved wrong. Lisa's recovery was remarkable considering her type of surgery.  The tumor was located on a major blood  vessel in the brain that controls, speech, personality, memory and temperament.  We were so afraid  we the would loose the essence of the Lisa we loved. We didn't... she was fine. She was and is still Lisa and for that we are all eternally grateful.
 
 

 While Lisa recovered,  she received many calls, texts, cards and flowers.  From Melodi and Lacey she received a box of 'sunshine'. Every thing in the box was related to the color yellow... the color of sunshine. Lisa was like a little girl when she opened the box. It was literally Christmas in July.  Many rough days were in her future. At times,  she felt horrible. After a week or ten days she began to feel better. In fact she was making remarkable progress.  Then the doctor called; informing  her it was cancer.  Fear erupted in my heart all over again. The doctor referred her to the best doctor and cancer center in Tampa.  It was time for Lisa to get her hair cut. It was chopped from surgery so it had to be shaped up all over. A buzz cut seemed like the best course of action.  In the back of all our minds was the fact she would have to have chemo and radiation.
 
 
 
Once again we were wrong. All our fears were eased when we reached Tampa and talked with her doctor who ironically was born in Iran...a political enemy of the United States.  When I heard this I felt a little nudge inside and a warm smile saying, "Surprise...you never know where help will come from...enjoy"   Her doctor is a smart lovely woman and told Lisa she had a long life to live. She said, "If you have to have brain cancer this is the one to have.  It is slow growing and will probably never grow back in your lifetime. We will keep an eye on it with a checkup every six months." Words failed us.  Lisa was going to live a long amazing life.
 
  Lisa is a walking miracle.  Her healing was  a blessing and a mixture of wonderful doctors and lots of prayer from family and friends causing the end results she received. I flew home the following Saturday.  What did I learn from all this?  I learned that people are stronger than we think we are.  I saw bravery in Lisa and Lisle's face every day.  I saw Lisa heal faster than I thought was possible. I saw my worst fears fall apart before my eyes. I learned that sometimes my wonderful, coffee inflated brain forgets I am not in charge of the world.  I learned I do not know what will happened in the long run. I am like everyone else just along for the ride. I also learned I am wrong a lot. I need to celebrate more and worry less.
 
The rest of the year was busy and for the most part very good. Melodi and Lacey came home for Thanksgiving and that was such an amazing time. Tommy and I packed up our queen size air mattress went to Tami's and stayed.  We didn't want to miss a thing.                                                        
 
 
 
Christmas and New Year's was fun. We spent our time with the grandkids and that is always an adventure waiting to happen. So why was I so anxious for 2014 to be over?  In hindsight it was a good year. Everything bad that could have happened...didn't. I think I need to practice 'thankfulness' much more this year. Live in the moment and not in my imagination. That last statement will be a battle for me because I love my imagination!  I am seldom bored. However, I will try to focus more on the positives in life.  The world has enough negativity without my two cents.  Hmmm...but then there is Obama and the Senate and ISIS...I have my work cut out for me.  Happy New Year and Welcome 2015.  I will do my best to be better at living with a thankful heart.
 
 
First sunrise of 2015...a year full of promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment