Thursday, January 8, 2015

Not Everything I Read on Facebook is True...Shock!! Shock!!



There are days when I like to play.  If I read something creative on Facebook or Pinterest and it sounds like fun or looks delicious...nine times out of ten I will try to recreate the idea.  Most of the time,  things I try work. Unfortunately, some ideas are harder to achieve than others. In fact there have been several 'bright ideas' that failed miserably...I still do not know why. 

 My newest failure happened about an hour ago.  For the past few days,  I have read several articles about blowing soap bubbles and watching the bubbles freeze. To me,  this seemed like a wonderful idea. I thought it would be awesome to watch a beautiful four inch round bubble fly high up in the air, catch reflections of the sunlight and then crystallize. I wanted photos of this sight.  I wanted to watch my grandchildren's eyes light up with delight as we tried and created the frozen bubbles.  From experience I have learned to try the idea out first before I drag the grandkids into the mix. High hopes can get dashed all too easy and fast.

This morning the weather was extremely cold, ten degrees to be exact with wind chills below zero. A gusty wind blew up to twenty miles an hour.  It was perfect weather to blow ice bubbles, or should have been. However, somewhere between the article and my bubble wand I found failure!  

I waddled outside bound from head to toe in all my winter clothes;  accompanied by a 'magic wand bubble blower' I bought last summer, in case we had  little people for company on a hot day in August.  The wand worked and produced huge bubbles that were gorgeous, reflecting azure blues and various shades of pink. The bubbles were quickly blown in multiple directions  until they exploded in the air.  Not one bubble froze.  Not one bubble attempted to freeze.  I returned to the warmth of my home...in about one minute's time span to find the reason this easy project failed.   Immediately,  I looked up the experiment on my computer.  No one knew for sure what went wrong.  However, a father in Denver tried this last weekend.  He and his kids had to hold their 'bubble' on their wand for at least a minute before the bubbles  began to freeze ...sort of.  I do not remember him saying the bubbles ever crystallized.  This is where my adventure became troublesome...catching a bubble was next to impossible.  Holding the bubble on the wand for a minute was not going to happen with the wind gusts we had.  I could only corral one bubble to stay on for 20 seconds...if that.  Not enough time for the bubble to freeze but more than enough  time for me to get an earache. 

I am not giving up exactly, I really want those photos. I also would like to share this memory with Jacy and Logan.  It would be a memory maker and something they could share with their children in years to come.   All I have to do is wait for the earache to stop and the wind to die down and then maybe...just maybe I can watch a bubble freeze.  Hmmmmm...that is not asking too much from Missouri weather!!  All She has to do is cooperate for once in Her existence.  Again I say...Hmmmmmm.



No comments:

Post a Comment