Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Year in the ACLU...



   I am, at times, a very impulsive person especially if I am operating out of anger. This is not a good quality to have in any one's life.  I know me and I know I should wait, think and think some more before I say, do or write  anything in anger.  However, I am not wired that way. I never have been and at this point in life, l doubt if anything will change. All too often I have a knee jerk reaction to a situation and the mouth to back it up...or as our fearless leader in the White House says, "I have a pen and a phone" implying he is not afraid to use either...well, neither am I. 

   I found myself in an unusual situation a few years ago when someone reported me to the Facebook's version of the NSA.  I was turned in for using 'offensive language' on my page.  Imagine that!!  I know I get colorful at times. The bottom line, it is my page and my opinions.  I took offense at their offense! I was chastised for my remark and the person was blocked so he or she never has to read my offensive writing again.

   That should have been enough but no...no...not enough for me. I wanted my civil rights protected so I immediately paid my $35 yearly dews  and joined the ACLU...and the fight was on.

   I do not think the ACLU was anymore ready for me than I was for them.  I received letters, sometimes daily, asking for my support and I would reply I disagreed with their policy. We 'debated' abortion, Christmas displays, prayer in school, the death penalty, poverty and the war on women. 

   I received phone call after phone call where  we debated  all sorts of policies I did not completely agree with.  One lady called wanting me to sign a petition concerning a death penalty case. She was adamantly  opposed to the death penalty.  The prisoner  was proven guilty beyond a shadow of doubt. His crime was horrible. He was also proven to be sane...he knew right from wrong.  However, he did not show any remorse. I believed he should be executed. We argued this fact for about thirty minutes, on her dime, and never once did either of us change the other person's mind. Finally, in desperation,  she asked me why I joined the ACLU to begin with. I told her I was "pissed" that someone took offense at my language.  There was a long pause on both ends of the phone. Once she started laughing, she could not stop.  By now we were on a first name basis. I told her when my year was up I would probably not renew my membership. I also said I agreed with some of their platforms however, in my opinion, they took everything to the extreme and lost the common sense of the cause.  She said, "I understand". We both said good bye and that is the last phone call I have received from them. In my mind I see a note in red by my name saying, "She is impossible...do not call her".  I occasionally get a letter in the mail, however they arrive less frequently each year.

   It was a learning experience in many ways. I read every letter I received even though half way through the letter I knew I would not sign my name in support. I heard the 'other side' and I listened to what they had to say. It made me do some very deep, dark thinking about what I want for my country and what the 'other side' wants for the same country.

   One of my favorite quotes comes from Dr. Ian Malcolm in the movie Jurassic Park, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."  Personally, I think this one line covers many difficulties and trials in life. I know it applies to me on a daily basis.  I value our Constitution.  In fact, I never leave home without a small copy of the Constitution in my purse.

  With liberty comes responsibility. With freedom comes common sense...a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden. Everything in life eventually boils down to the 'cause and effect'  theory. Our thoughts and actions produce more thoughts and reactions...just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.  From my experience and perspective, the ACLU does not believe this statement...however, I do.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment