Friday, January 16, 2015

Paul McCartney???? Who is That?

   Somewhere between Jacy's birth and thirteen I failed to educate my granddaughter in the fine art of Beatlemania.  How she became a teenager without hearing about Paul McCartney and the Beatles is inconceivable, beyond any stretch of my imagination.  Music is such a big part of her life; and story telling is a never ending circus in my life; I thought for sure the two worlds had collided and Jacy knew the truth...when I was fourteen I was madly in love with Paul McCartney. In my little mind he would one day be her grandfather.  I was positive he was my destiny.  Forty million other little girls felt the same way I did.  We were all wrong.

   It all started when I was a freshman in high school. The Beatles made their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show on  February 9, 1964 to be exact.  The first song I heard them sing was "All My Loving".  That night began the British Invasion changing the course of music forever.  Much to my father's annoyance, Paul McCartney became my first obsession. When Daddy's favorite beagle had puppies, I named them John, George, Ringo and Paulette. He refused to hunt with Paulette:)

   Kathy Pulley, my best friend, took a picture of Paul as he was singing, "She Loves You". I still have the small black and white photo hidden somewhere in a shoebox. It was my prized possession and as close to Paul McCartney as I would ever get.  It was an exciting time to be a teenager. I bought every magazine and record I could get my hands on for years. I kept a journal of Paul's likes and dislikes.  My infatuation with Paul lasted about two years. Then another black headed, brown eyed boy caught my attention and I was through with Paul. 

   The other day I showed Jacy a video of the Ed Sullivan show. She took one look at the Beatles  and said, " Oh my gosh!!".  She was not impressed.  " Nonnie, hmmmm Nonnie, they aren't all that great. In fact they are a little weird." My heart be still!!!  I was shocked!  How could she say this???  So I asked her to show me a video of her favorite singer. Up pops Adam Levine on her phone.  Proudly she thrust him toward me and my first reaction was, "Are you serious...you call this music???"  I caught myself before I said the words out loud. I remembered  my parent's reaction to the Beatles. I laughed knowing once again how they felt when I was a teenager.  Do I like Adam Levine's music...not at all. That is completely fine, I don't have to like him.  He belongs to my granddaughter's generation.  He is part of her future memory making past. I would love to see the look on her granddaughter's face when Jacy shows her Adam!  Now that would be funny in more ways than one.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment