Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Happiest Man I Have Ever Known

          When I first started to write this morning, I intended to write about the snow we received yesterday, The wind chills that are below zero. And the fact, for the first time in twenty years, I don't have to go anywhere I don't want to go. That is one of the perks of being retired!! 

         Although for selfish reasons, I  was a little ticked when the snow plow came down our road before noon. And not once but twice!!!  When I worked, our road would be one of the very last to be cleaned. I would slip and slide to work--hanging on to the wheel for dear life. I should be thankful--and I am,but it sure would have been nice to have this kind of service twenty years ago...when I needed it!!!

         The snow storm wasn't really what I wanted to write about. I wanted to write about our friend of 30 years, Ben. Ever since I first met Ben, I have told Tommy that Ben is the happiest person I have ever met. Thirty years has not changed that opinion. 

         Ben is not wealthy by any means. But he has something better than wealth--he has contentment.  His home is always open to people and it is generally blessed with visitors, who are in and out, all day long. Most drop by just to sit by the wood stove, drink some coffee and shoot the bull.  There is always laughter, jokes and sometimes a card game that will last into the early hours of the next day. If you are hungry, Ben can always find something to fix.

         There are days when Tommy and Ben cook fish, or chili and make enough to feed whoever comes to the door.  I try to make an appearance on those days for sure.

         Ben is happiest, sitting on the Missouri River fishing. He can fish all day and into the night easily.  I am a four hour fisherman, so sometimes we have to take two vehicles, or I just meet them somewhere.  Most of the time Ben, Tommy and whoever else is fishing that day, go without me.  And that is usually a good thing.  The first time Tommy, Ben and I went fishing, I took my purse with me. Ben really didn't see why I needed a purse to fish---and as I was slipping down a muddy bank, and threw my purse at Ben, he really couldn't see why I needed that thing.  At that moment, I totally agreed with him. Now I take a fanny pack---loaded with all the things from my purse!!!

         Everyone should be blessed with a friend like Ben. He is always the same--and in a world where everything changes on a dime or a whim or even a bullet, it is comforting to know that there are places you can go and enjoy yourself.

        The sign on the front of Ben's small house, was made by a good friend and says "Ben's Do Drop Inn" The truth if I ever heard it.


       

2 comments:

  1. A really nice line at the end about Ben's predictability. Another beautiful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete