Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Circle of Friends

                  " The Girls in my Circle"
                         sent in an email and revised some by me 


    " When I was little, I used to believe in the concept of one best friend. Then I found out that if you allow your heart to open up, God will show you the best in many friends.

     One friend is needed when your are going through things with your man. Another friend, is needed when you are going through things with your family. Another will sit beside you in the bleachers as you delight in your children and their activities."

     Another friend will drop everything to eat lunch with you at the Olive Garden, even though you are both broke...just to laugh and have a good time... because you both need it.

     One friend will meet your spiritual needs. While another meets your shoe,or black tee shirt fetish.

     Another friend will share your love of books, art and movies and will be your own personal cheerleader.

     But whatever their assignment in your life,or whatever the occasion or day. If you need them---they are there.

     All of this could be wrapped up in one woman, but for many it's wrapped up in several women.

     Some from grade school. Some from high school and college. And many from old jobs. Many are family members....daughters, aunts, cousins, sisters, sisters in law and nieces. People who are adored. Whoever they are and wherever they are, when they are needed, they arrive and stay as long as needed."

     I have been blessed with a large circle of friends. The older I get,the more precious their friendships mean to me.

     I have two friends that I spend alot of time with now that we have all retired, Carol and Punky. We are different as daylight and dark, but friends through and through.

     They collect gems, stones and gold. I collect postcards and books. They live with seven cats---I have two dogs. We go on road trips and I threaten to put them out at least twice before we get home!!! We laugh a lot and cry almost as much. We know too many secrets about each other to ever stop being friends!!!

     Two weeks ago, they gave me a tanzanite necklace, like they wear. It really touched me. Carol told me it is "our own sisterhood stone" And then over a Japanese lunch, they told me the story of tanzanite.

     It was first found in 1967, in Tanzania,Africa. The mines were unsafe. Many people died in the mining process. Finally, the mines were closed. All that is left is what we have now. It is more rare than diamonds and is now referred to as "the first generation stone". It only comes in blue, although at times it looks red. When this stone is gone there won't be anymore.

     The same could be said for friends. Good friends are irreplaceable. When one is gone, no one else can take their place. They should be cherished and shown to the world that they are priceless---just like a good jewel.

    

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. For those of us who don't have sisters, there are the girl friends who share our history.

    ReplyDelete