Monday, January 17, 2011

Love Letters from 1969

            I am a big fan of love. Young love especially. Today, I have had the privilege of reliving memories of how Tommy and I fell in love.

            While cleaning out a closet, I found a box of love letters written by us when he was in the Marines and I was in college.  I spent most of the morning reading, laughing and occasionally crying. 

           To set the stage, Tommy and I fell in love with each other in high school. But were too hot headed and young to really know how to handle it---so thankfully we broke up and didn't see each other for two years. We both needed time to grow up. Time to meet other people and time to miss what we had.

         My father never liked Tommy. I think from the first date, Daddy knew that some day Tommy and I would marry.  He hated that idea.  Tough!!  I can say that now after 41 years, but I sure didn't have the nerve at the time. 

         As I read those letters today, I could tell that it was important to Tommy that Daddy like him.  If I could have talked to that young  man, knowing what I know now, I would have told him to quit worrying about things you have no control over. Daddy's issues were his own. Tommy's feelings for me were real and he has proved it a million times over the years.  Daddy still doesn't like him.....he missed  knowing one hell of a good man--that's his loss.

        I would tell the young Vicky, that you all won't starve to death. You will learn to become a great "country cook".  At the time, I worried a lot about cooking, lets face it....sooner or later you do get hungry!!!  In one of my letters to him, I hinted that I really could not cook.  He was one of eleven kids and grew up cooking. I was an only child, and I grew up playing.  He wrote back, "Don't worry baby, everyone can cook" When I read that, I thought "Hmmmmmm I am not so sure about that" And I was right!!!. But we both had a good sense of humor and  he thought everything I did was funny.  Thank God!!

       We talked in our letters about the future.  We made plans, he wanted a small family.  I wanted a big family--seven kids at least.  After the first child, I changed my mind about that---three would be fine.  If I didn't have a clue about cooking, I knew even less about raising a baby!! But I had Tommy, I had good gut instincts and I had a deep love for my daughter. If I could, I would tell that young mother--to relax, enjoy each moment for they are over all too soon. I would tell her that she will have three remarkable little girls that grow up to be wonderful women.  I would pat her on the back and say "good job--now enjoy".

       We were going to ramble around and never settle down.  We were in the Marines his last two years and moved twice. First to Georgia and then to Yuma, Arizona where Lisa was born.
Over the course of the next ten years, we moved sixteen times. We finally settled in Missouri because Lisa asked us not to move any more. We had already changed her school three times and she hated moving.  I would tell "Tommy and Vicky" that they did the right thing. Moving and always starting over cemented their relationship. Buying an old fixer upper with six acres,sealed the deal. "They made a million memories" and that was something they both wanted. "They" wanted adventure....and they certainly have had that.

       It wasn't always a bed of roses. There were some rough spots that had to be worked out. That is life. After reading all the letters and thinking about how young we were and the goals we wanted, I would say it has been one heck of a ride. We started with $78 every two weeks, and a $100 allotment...and alot of love and passion.  We shot for the moon----and we got it.

      Once again, it doesn't take much to make me happy---but I does take Tommy.
       

          

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOH! OK, yeah...I'm crying. Mama, that's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of the loss if you had tossed these letters away...or misplaced them in the course of fourteen moves! I hope you write more about these letters at some point.

    ReplyDelete