Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Dreaming About Family...



    The postcard on the left was created by Jillian Crider several years ago.  All rights belong to her.  While I was trading postcards with friends all around the world, I purchased this card to trade. I decided to keep the card because it spoke to me then and it speaks to me now. I knew one day I would use this card for something. I had no clue what it would be.

    When I started to write this blog, I searched for a photo to symbolize the essence of the story I witnessed  in my mind's eye.  Nothing I found fit the story I saw in my imagination until I stumbled upon  this card again.  The painting  symbolizes what I remember of my dream. Two empty rocking chairs symbolize the absence of two people I loved very much,  my mother and my brother in law, Bobby. Without words it speaks of their visit  while I slept.

   Tommy and I went to bed late last night. Before turning in for the night,  we checked the weather channel to see what kind of weather conditions would surprise us during the night or early the next morning.  As usual, rain and thunderstorms were in our forecast. Neither of us were worried about the forecast and were soon fast asleep.

   I seldom remember my dreams. I might hold on to a memory for a few seconds after I wake up but my memory of the dreams never last into the afternoon. This dream did. It lingered in the corners of my mind all day. The dream felt almost real. It seemed to last all night, however what I remember is only a few words and images.  I don't remember where the three of us were sitting.  I know Bobby and Mama where sitting up higher than me.  I think I was sitting on a step.  Both of them leaned forward as they talked.  There was an urgency in their voices.  It wasn't fear I heard but cold, hard facts.  Bobby leaned forward with his elbow on his right knee and said, "There is a storm coming...a bad storm.  You need to prepare for it.  There is nothing you can do to stop it.  Just be ready."  I looked at Mama and she told me, "Don't be afraid but be prepared."  Then she smiled and leaned forward to give me a kiss on the forehead.  Instantly they were gone and I was awake.  I lay there for a long time thinking about what I had dreamed. Dreaming about my mother is not unusual. She visits me in my sleep often. However, I can never remember what happens in the dreams. I just know she was there for awhile and then was gone.

   While drinking coffee this morning, I told Tommy about the dream. He stated what I was thinking. We both feel it was an accumulation of thoughts and photographs I had seen during the day. While I slept the thoughts and photos joined forces and created the dream. I am almost sure this is correct...however, somewhere in the back of my mind there is a tiny place reserved for the unexplained events in life.  I think this dream belongs in that place.

   



    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment