Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Remembering Bobby Carter.....


I love Bobby and Deana Carter.  I have loved them for 43 years. When I think of them I can't help but smile. 

The first time I met Deana was at Mrs. Carter's house in Union City, Tenn. Tommy and I were engaged. We were in the midst of making wedding plans.  Deana was there and most definitely pregnantImmediately Deana started teasing us. She wanted to know all about the wedding---and the honeymoon. I was telling her about the Christmas wedding, when she started laughing.  She said, "I think I will go to the wedding wearing this heavy coat and when the minister says, "Does anyone have any reason why these two should not be wed?  I am gonna jump up, throw back my coat and say 'I do.' " She busted out laughing, I nearly fainted!!!  First thing to run through my mind was my father.!!  I didn't know if he would shoot Deana or Tommy first. All I knew for sure was it was going to end bad. Deana saw the look on my face and laughed even harder. THEN she assured me she would not do that.  I had just met her and I wasn't convinced, but I knew I liked her. It sounded like something I would do.

Deana and I were talking about this last Sunday at Bobby's visitation.  We both laughed at a good memory.  That was the beginning of a long friendship. We lived in Union City for several years, when Lisa and Tami were small. In fact, Tami was born in Union City.  We lived maybe 10 minutes from Bobby and Deana. Their home was the gathering place at that time.

Bobby had a garage out back and Deana was always cooking. It was a relaxed atmosphere and a place to have fun.  Family was always in and out. 

Bobby is the one who was always teasing me about something or the other.  He caught me doing or saying something really dumb once, that is when he 'blessed' me with the name 'Pollock'.  It stuck and for the next 40 years, I answered to 'Pollock'.

 Bobby Joe nicked named Deana 'Pearl' and I have called her that since I first heard it.  Money was tight for all of us then. We were just starting out.  We were always trying  to make a dollar go farther than it could possibly stretch. Regardless of our situation, we had fun.

Bobby has worked on every car I have ever owned. He never complained and always helped us in any way he could. He was that way with everyone. 

Bobby helped me in many ways during the past 7 years. When Mama was hospitalized, he was in Paducah  visiting Jim when he heard that we were on the surgery floor. He came up and sat with Mama so I could take a break. He listened to me talk, heard me cry and prayed with me in matters concerning my father.

When Tommy and I had a problem that could not be resigned. I talked to Bobby and he talked to Tommy.  When they were through talking, Tommy had a new outlook and I had my family back. For that I will be eternally grateful.

He was and is a big part of the glue in the Carter family. He was a take charge kind of man.  He knew how to get things done.  

Bobby had a love for Jesus that showed in his smile, his voice and his words. When he talked I listened. 

Last Sunday was Bobby's funeral service. It was standing room only. He was loved by a lot of people from all walks of life. Everyone had a 'Bobby story'. Sunday afternoon, laughter and tears mingled in equal amounts.  It was very hard to say good bye to the Bobby Carter we knew and loved.  He will be a welcoming warmth waiting for us when we each make that step into eternity. I can almost guarantee when he sees me, he will hold out his arms, give the beautiful  Carter smile and say, "Welcome home Pollock."

     
                                   


2 comments:

  1. Thankful to get to know a little about such a great person. Yes, he will be welcoming you
    "Pollock". :)

    ReplyDelete