Thursday, October 4, 2012

You Know You Live in the Country When....



I love living in the country. There is no doubt about that.  However there is country--  located a few miles outside of town.  Then there is  country 10 miles from town. And there is country where I live. 

I live 25 miles from the nearest large town. I also live 3 miles down a gravel road, by choice. When my daughters were dating, our location was referred to as "BFE". I did not know what those initials meant.  I have to admit, after finding out,  that is about right!  It is not unusual for us to have to get the cows out of the road so we can go to town.  Now that is living in the country!
About 2 months ago Tommy and I hustled 20 cows back inside their fence. I bet they were out again before we hit blacktop.  I missed that picture.. It was over 100 degrees, I was hot and sweaty and truthfully did not think of my camera until I was half way to town. This picture is one of many I have taken this summer and the only one I could find..One cow, going the wrong way.

Cows are a little quirky.  They will walk through any semi opening to get out of the pasture, but will seldom go back in the same opening to graze again. They wander up and down the road, just cruising along with no particular thought in mind, possibly looking for the grass they just left behind.   They have no desire to be any where, but where they are not supposed to be.

If  a horn is honked at them, nine times out of ten they will spread out to each side of the road, surrounding the vehicle from a safe distance.  It looks like they are waiting for the driver to make the first move.  They will wait as long as it takes. When the driver starts to move forward,  one of them will run out in front of the driver to see if he has any breaks! If the driver stops, the cow will too. The driver had better stop.  Those cows cost a fortune if you hit one, not mention the price of fixing your vehicle. Then they turn their heads, staring to see what the next plan of action will be. The cow continues to stare until the driver makes a move. Sometimes it seems like a deliberate stand off.  This is about the time I hammer down on the horn,  just to see what happens---poop happens!!

You can be assured that when you get out of the truck, one or two of them will suddenly have to poop!!!  Give'em plenty of room, they need it.

Tommy will drive the cows back into the field. I seldom do anymore. He is much nicer than I am.  I set on the horn until they have all pooped.!!  Soon they will start running to a safe place. That is when I drive slowly through ...poop and all!! 

 I tried to put the cows up once by myself. Once was enough. Three cows were out. One had a calf with her.  I was worried about the calf getting run over.  

I got out of the Blazer and started waving my arms, trying to encourage them to go back to the creek and in the fence.  They scattered. The more I shouted and waved, the more afraid of me they became. I think the move I used was supposed to be for chickens, and I got my wires crossed. It didn't work on a single cow.

 Mama cow did not take her eyes off of me. Her calf fell down and Mama thought I was to blame. I just barely made it back to the Blazer before she was at my door.  For some reason I can't explain, I locked the door!!!  The cow couldn't get in and I wouldn't get out.  There we sat for the next 30 minutes, at least I had a radio.  Finally the cows got bored with me, moving to the side of the road. I put my vehicle in gear and tore out of there!!!   

My first winter here, I learned the strangest thing. Cows will stand in snow,  knee deep and die of thirst. I have been told by many farmers that cows will  literally die before they eat snow.  Unbelievable!!!  I keep thinking to myself, "surly, somewhere, at some time, there must have been one rebellious cow that said, 'I will not die!!!  I will eat snow!!!'  They need a leader or a union!!!

 However, you can't prove it by me! As far as I know, ice covering the  pond has to be broken daily for them to survive. Personally, I think they push their luck.

They are beautiful animals, taste delicious and just this side of dumb. I enjoy seeing them everyday. I photograph them every chance I get. However, I am just not gonna 'play' with them. They are bigger than me and they cheat!!!                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment