Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Our 12th Wedding Anniversary---Debbie this one is for You...



Memories of Debbie and Harold Dickens have played in the edges of my mind all day.  Debbie in particular has slipped in and out of my thoughts She whispered in my ear while I slept.  When Tommy and I were eating carrot cake, complements of  Busy Corner Cafe,  Debbie dropped hints concerning a chocolate cake she made for one of our anniversaries.  She smiled at that memory. I know because I felt it in my heart.

Debbie and Harold used to be neighbors of ours. They lived about a half mile down the road from us.  Melodi was a baby, just learning to walk. Harold adored Melodi.  Their daughter Jeanne was almost Tami's age, around 3 or 4. We spent a lot of time together.  In fact, we gave them their wedding. They asked us to be Godparents to Melissa when she was born.  I cleaned Debbie's house before Ryan their son was bought home from the hospital. Harold is a great mechanic. He was forever keeping my car running, between pay days.  We were friends and we were family too. As friends do, we filled in the gap when one of us needed something.

 Today is our 43 anniversary. Tommy and I got married the day after Christmas in 1969.  When we were young and getting started we were usually broke on that particular day, having spent most of our money on Santa Claus.  We always had candles, a bottle of  wine and a good dinner at home.  Every now and then we would go out and celebrate. As the years went by we have celebrated more and more.

For our 12th  anniversary we had no plans except for our usual ritual. About 5:30 that evening Debbie and Harold stopped by our house saying,  "Happy Anniversary, we are babysitting for you tonight!  Go out to dinner and have some fun!"  We were dressed and ready in 30 minutes....before they changed their minds:)

We did have fun that night. We went to Kings Row, devouring steak dinners by candlelight. There was a band playing, after finding out it was our anniversary,  they dedicated a song to us. "Walk Through this World with Me" . We were the only two dancing for about the first half of the song. I was so moved by everything that I cried. 

We drove around Fulton looking at Christmas lights and listening to the last of Christmas music for the year.  It had snowed and the roads were slick in places. We decided to make an early evening. I guess we were home by 11 p.m.  The kids were all asleep. Debbie and Harold were sitting on the couch watching t.v. When we got home we thanked them and shared a glass of wine together.  We told stories and laughed a lot that night.  It was a good anniversary and a good memory.

A few years ago Debbie was murdered. They never did find the killer. It was horrible and such a waste of a life. Harold took it very hard but has eventually moved on with his life. Nothing is the same any more. Tommy and I went to Melissa's wedding. As Harold and Melissa walked down the isle there was a picture of Debbie close to the alter. Melissa touched her fingers to her lips and kissed the photo. Once again, I cried.

Over the years we have been blessed with a network of friends. They are as loved as our blood relatives. They are family. Harold and Debbie were part of that connection. I miss them both. I will never forget them.  When I think of them I smile.  We had fun together. They were a part of our youth.  I will always remember our 12th anniversary and be very grateful to Debbie and Harold for the good time they allowed us to have.

Thank you Debbie for all the nudges today. You were right, it is past time to write this story of us. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment