Thursday, December 6, 2012

There is Crazy and There is Crazy.......



This past month has been just this side of crazy.  Tommy and I found ourselves in all sorts of situations that we have never experienced before.  

So far in our marriage we have both been blessed with good health. Then in 2007, Tommy had a major heart attack. He came within 30 minutes of dying. That was our first experience with the fact that one of us will die and probably leave the other behind.  

In 2009  he had 2 more stents put in and came within days, if not hours of another major heart attack. Tommy and Ben fished all week long. Tommy would have a spell and then he would get alright except for being weak. This went on all week long. They fished places a mule would have trouble navagating through.  I was scared to death. I was sure there was a heart attack in the making. But I could not convince Tommy.  He always thinks I "over react" when it comes to his health. I don't!!

The Sunday before I drug his wazoo to the hospital, I was frantic. It was hot and they had gone to Herman to fish. I knew where they were. It was in the middle of the woods, with weeds 4 feet high, bugs, and  snakes leading to their favorite fishing hole.  I found them by sheer determination and a trail a mile wide!  I knew I was either after them or a huge deer.

When Ben looked up and saw me he said, "Damn Tommy, you can't get away from her!!!  She can track you anywhere.!"  Then he started laughing.  I had several bottles of cold water, some baby aspirin and a very bad attitude. The attitude left the minute I saw Tommy. He looked horrible. He was more than ready to go home.   Ben told me Tommy had a spell on the way through weeds and didn't feel good at all......and still they fished.  I just shook my head and we all went home.  

The next morning a 7 a.m. I called his cardiologist while he was making rounds. His nurse went to school with Lisa and she told me to call her if I needed to see the doctor. We were told to go immediately to the hospital, don't even bother checking in they would take care of it. They saved his life again.

This past month has been pure hell. Everything went wrong!! Tommy was sicker than I have ever seen him.... and once again I could do nothing with him. By sheer accident the situation got straightened out. Within 3 days Tommy was on the mend and now except for being tired and unable to do certain things where he has to lift or could get cut, he is his old self. For that I am thankful. On the 21 of December he has his heart jump started and it should go back in perfect rhythm.

Today while we were at the V.A. my people skills were at an all time low.  Tommy had threatened me with bodily harm if I started anything. I had no intention of making a scene. I hate to see people do that...as a rule.  

We needed to make sure that our daughters names and addresses and phone numbers where in his chart, in case they had questions about his treatment when he is in the hospital.

 We were sent to 4 different places before we found the man we were supposed to talk to.  He informed me that I would need a power of attorney. All I asked was why?  All I wanted to do was add Lisa, Tami and Melodi's phone numbers to Tommy's  next of kin.  I thought they were listed but I wanted to make sure. . the man at the desk had 'issues' with this. He didn't want to look them up and sent us around the corner to see some lady.

. She was very nice and pulled up Tommy's file and checked for us. I am listed as next of kin and they have Lisa's phone number. I asked her to add Melodi and Tami's phone numbers and she said I would have to go back and talk to the man we had been talking to.  I thought that one over.  I am going to have to wait a few weeks until he forgets me. And he will.  However, if I had knocked that smart grin off his face.......I might have had to wait even longer.

Things worked out. Tommy is on the road to recovery.  I am not in jail on assault.  Dinner was delicious and I am starting to feel like the old Vicky....it's about time. 

                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment