Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I Love the Fog...



I think one of the most beautiful sights for me to see is fog in the mountains and on the ocean.  While we were in northern California we were blessed with many foggy mornings.

We like to get up early.  To walk out a cabin door, look at the mountains and see a completely different scene than the one we had witnessed  the night beforeEverything looks different in a foggy haze. The imagination can conjure up all sorts of images in the mist. Stories yet to be written are forming in the back of my mind. The camera is going spastic. I want to capture this area, this time in my life, forever.  I am in no hurry to get on the road today.  I want to walk and discover what the fog is trying to hide. Tommy agrees. We set off on a long walk to nowhere in particular, just following my muse and the fog.

The mountains loom all around us.  The Shasta River is across the road and about 200 feet down from where we are standing.  The view is exotic and intoxicating at the same time. The fog is lower in some places than others. The misty clouds fight for control of the morning. 

 



All the time I am walking the road and in the woods, I hearing "Smoke on the Water, Fire in the Sky" in the back of my mind. I always loved that song. My past is never far away.  It must have seemed appropriate to me that day, because it played off and on for several hours in my mind. Soon it was time to wrap up our walk and get on the road.  The fog remained with us until about 9 a.m. when the sun reclaimed the sky.

We had the road to ourselves, that was a good thing. I could still get a few pictures. Around each turn was a new photo shot waiting to turn into a memory.

We were almost to the coast. The ocean and the Redwoods were just out of our reach.  In less than an hour we would be there.  I tell Tommy that I don't think anything we will see today will be any prettier than this morning.  I was so wrong!  This was one of many days when beauty became almost a drug.  I was completely awestruck with all that nature had to offer that day.  It was a wonderful day to be alive.

  
Then we saw the Pacific Ocean .  Once again my camera went crazy trying to capture what I was seeing.  Nothing can compare to what the hand of God can do.                

No comments:

Post a Comment