Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Graffiti at the Beach....RIP Bryce



Our first morning in California, Melodi and I went to the beach.  The Pacific Ocean surrounded us, but kept out of sight. We could smell it. We felt the change in the atmosphere. It was 67 degrees in Oxnard, the sun was hidden by clouds. A wind was lightly blowing. The ocean was waiting impatiently for our meeting.  We were ready to meet.

We drove six miles then walked across a sand dune....and there she was...the ocean finally. The day was early. Most of the people on the beach were walking their dogs, drinking coffee, looking like they had just crawled out of bed. So did we. We slipped off our flip flops and walked up and over the sand dune.  My legs ached by the time I reached the surf.  It was a good work out.  My eyes were glued to the rough surf in front of me.  It looks nothing like the Atlantic Ocean. Melodi and I looked at each other and laughed. It was a good moment to share with someone you love.  The Pacific Ocean that morning was rough, there was a mist in the air, the clouds were low and the water was cold. We loved it.  I had no urge to run and jump in the water. I just wanted to stop, look and listen.


We began to take pictures and to wander off on our own. A huge retaining wall had been  built to our left, at the far end of the beach. It was covered in graffiti murals. I snapped a long shot photo from a distance.  Eventually, I walked over to inspect the art. I looked at it for a long time. There were three sections, maybe more, telling a story of a young man who had died surfing, perhaps at this very beach.

Melodi came over and we tried to piece together what may have happened. The picture that grabbed my attention the most, was of a young woman . She was beautifully painted. Long black hair, dark eyes, full mouth. Pieces of her hair and eye have been vandalized or just eroded over the years. It took nothing away from her beauty. In the upper left hand corner, in bright neon green, the words a  "A Wonderful Mistake" was painted.  The word "Wonderful" is debatable. I have looked at this many times, 'wonderful ' is the word I finally settled on.  It looks like a flashy tin man is trying to comfort her.

In the far upper right hand corner, written also in neon green spray paint are the words, "RIP...BRYCE".  Next to this mural was another spray painted piece of artwork. A young man is surfing as the sun is about to set. He too, has black hair and brown skin. On the left side of the painting are the words, "In loving memory of a son, brother, and friend to all. We love you and miss you. RIP Bryce." 
There were other pictures painted of surfboards, whales, a Mexican Sun and moon. The final picture is of the Condos beyond the sand dunes. In the middle of the painting, something has been scratched or lightly painted in white. It is hard to make it out. 

I know nothing about the young man named Bryce. His age, where he lived, what he wanted to be 10 years from then. I do know he was loved, missed and he died too young.  Someone took the time to paint a tribute to him.  As Melodi and I looked at the ocean we both were thinking  "rest in peace Bryce".                                                               

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment