Monday, September 17, 2012

This One is for Melodi....



I was talking to Melodi the other day about a previous blog. I told her more in depth the story about how we got our motel room at the car show and why we had to park a block away from our room. I promised I would fill in the blanks for her. Here is  'the rest of the story.'

It was late on a Friday afternoon, when we accidentally became a member of the "Neon Nights" antique car show. Since we were driving a 1991 Grand Marquis, people thought we were part of the car show....only ill prepared for it. We were trapped for awhile until we saw a sign for the "Oregon Motel".  Immediately Tommy took a left into the parking lot. He sent me in to get the room. I hate doing this! By nature I am a 'people person', however this only lasts for about eight hours a day and then I am done with 'people' in general, lunatics in particular.  When I walked in, the room was filled with both.  

The couple in front of me were finishing up their paper work on their room. Then it was my turn. There were two men working the counter. One man was very tall with a blank stare on his face. The second was a small man from the middle East speaking sporadic English. He was very animated, talking a lot with his hands. Unfortunately I drew the blank.

 I asked the price of the room, he stared at me like I had just ordered a Big Mac. I put my purse on the counter, retrieving  my debit card, waiting for my room to be paid.  He looked at me, I looked at him---nothing happened. Then he says, "I need your car license plate number".  I told him I didn't know what it was, but it was parked under the awning outside his door.  He said, "Well go get it". After a few seconds, I turned around to go out and write down my license number. I gave it to him. The man still stared. I looked at the little guy standing behind him and asked for help. He laughed, taking over. The tall man wouldn't move, we worked around him.  Finally I get the room paid. On the way out the door he tells me I have to park a block away from my room. I asked him why and he told me people were taking other people's parking places and he was out of room except for the handicapped spot. 

We go to our room, unload the car with a big sigh of relief.  I notice that our parking spot was taken by two Harley bikes.  Beautiful bikes but in our parking space. I told Tommy one of us needed to tell the bikers to move.  His exact words were, "Knock yourself out!" Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I walk over to their door, as it opens.  Out come two of the biggest men I have ever seen. I asked them if those were their bikes. They said yes and one said "why?"  At that particular minute I could think of no reason why those two big men could not park there. I am sure I would in about an hour, but not now. 

 I told them we were going to have to park in the back of the motel about a block away. I thought they might pick up on my plight and offer to move their bikes. The talkative one said, "Yeah, we thought we were going to have to do that, but luckily we don't."

My little mind was spinning, I could hear Tommy laugh through the open door. I wished them a good evening and returned to my room. Tommy said, "Nice going badass"

That stung a little bit, however he had a point. If we are too tired to drive we are too tired to fight. "Fight" where did that idea even come from?  I was done. My people skills had expired about an hour ago.  

Tommy and I drive the car to the back parking lot. We are surrounded by men wanting to know about our car. I was through talking, I went back to the room and locked the door. I hear someone pull into the handicapped parking spot. I opened the door and out jumps two 20 year old beauties. One said, "Who cares if it is a handicapped parking space!!!  We got the last room, so as far as I am concerned this is my space".  She looks at me and smiles sweetly.  All I could think of to say was "Knock yourself out" and I closed the door.  About that time Tommy comes in, still laughing, saying  "Did you see who got the handicapped parking spot?" I just  groaned and threw a pillow at him......badass indeed!!!



1 comment: