Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Long Day of Rolling, Rambling Thunder



Weather wise yesterday was an odd kind of day.  We had rolling thunder most of the day and night. 

The thunder started before we got up yesterday morning. I could hear it in the distance. It was north of I-70. Since my home is located 10 miles South of I-70, whatever happens on that line usually affects us....eventually.

Tommy and I decided to go out for breakfast, do some grocery shopping and make an early day of traveling. 

Our first stop was the post office in Williamsburg. It rained there for about 10 minutes. It is located on the north side of I-70. We drove from there to Kingdom City without so much as a drop of rain. We could hear the thunder, see the dark clouds roll by, however no rain hit the earth.  After breakfast we go to WalMart to buy  our groceries. Leaving the store, we see rain puddles everywhere. The atmosphere was humid and the thunder still rolled. It poured rain while we were in the store. I never heard anything.

We drive three miles down the road, the pavement is completely dry.  The thunder was all around, the sky was dark.  It appeared to be holding the water tightly in its grip.

This went on all day. Broken Bridge Road got a sprinkle, we received nothing at our house. I don't ever remember a day where the thunder stomped and prowled all day long. I am sure there have been many such days, I just can't recall any. 

Finally last night the rain and storms found our home. Mother nature put on quite a show. The trees whipped, the rain poured and the dogs whined. Lightning sounded like it touched down close to our house several times. The sky would light up for a few seconds only to return to utter darkness. Sabella, my german shepherd paced all night long. She finally settled down outside our bedroom door. I heard her scratch a few times. We have to keep our door shut or Sabella would be in bed with us when it storms.  Considering she kills every possum that happens to wander into our yard, then proceeds to roll around in her kill, coming into our bedroom is not an option. I keep "dog perfume" by my chair, just for her.

We have more storms headed our way today. That is fine. We need the rain and I enjoy a rowdy storm.  It is a good day to sleep, to read and to enjoy the distant rolling thunder. This is all I intend to do today. My kind of plan.  However, Sabella and Sandy are at the back door wanting in. They have had breakfast. The thunder groaned just a little bit and the girls are  ready to resume their day, in the house with us. Sandy made a mad dash for her recliner and Sabella is sprawled out by my chair, where she will stay as long as I am around.  This has the makings of a very good day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment