Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We Finally Found a Way to Hunt Together---with a Camera



For years Tommy has wanted me to hunt with him. I go, we both end up wishing I had stayed home. I swear I will never go again.  A year passes. Hunting season arrives and the pressure is on again by Tommy to hunt with him. Why I will never know. For me sitting on a rock or in a tree, in the dark with rain or snow coming down is not my idea of fun.

However, while we were on vacation we learned a way to have fun together and compromise (I hope) on hunting.  We saw some of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen. In Wyoming and Northern California we saw elk that would make the most ardent hunter salivate and trigger happy just to be near them. If you are an artist, photographer or writer the affect was mesmerizing.  Tommy and I both shared the love of watching the animals in the wild. A nice, friendly Indian, who was working the road crew on Hwy. 299 told us where the elk were and told us the side trip was worth the detour. He was  
so right. They are located on Indian land in part of the Redwoods. We spent most of the morning watching, taking photos and enjoy where we were.

There were at least 8 or 10 bull elk in a huge field. At first we didn't see any. Then one elk raised his head, then another, then another. Soon they started to get up and move around. Slowly they walked away from us. Oblivious or unconcerned about the fact that humans were around. My camera was going nuts and Tommy was in his element. He told me exactly about how the animals would behave.  He told me again about his hunt in Colorado years ago when he got a huge 4x4 elk. It was good to hear the story again and to see how happy it made him.  I showed him photos I was getting. Soon he had to borrow my camera to get "just the right shot".  
I took pictures for about two hours. Most I had to delete but the ones I kept, are very special to us.  I think the elk on the left was the leader. The rest of the group seemed to always be alert to where he was and what he was doing. They would follow for awhile and then break off to graze. Always keeping a glancing eye on their leader.
                                  
Eventually the elk walked off. It was amazing to have watched this without having to worry about shooting one of them. I am thankful no guns were involved and we had such a good time. The next time we had a hunting adventure was in Wyoming. We were going 80 miles an hour when Tommy said, " Did you see those antelope in that field on the right?"  I hadn't but I saw one later on about a mile down the road.  Tommy slowed down and we began our "antelope hunt". This was fun and frustrating at the same time. Since we were in a car the window of opportunity to get a camera shot was hard to say the least. Why we didn't pull over, escapes me. But we didn't. We did our "hunting" going 60 miles an hour. I got two shots out of probably 100 that were passable. If you close one eye and squint---you might see the antelope. I can see it because I know where it is.
This guy is laying on the ground behind a post. They are delicate animals. Small, quick and delicious. Tommy shot one years ago, in Wyoming. The meat is light, almost like pork.

 We saw babies, so small they looked almost like a little, tiny goat.  We "hunted" these antelope for about 200 miles. They were everywhere my camera wasn't.  I have a 3 second delay on my Kodak Easy Share.  In 3 seconds I lost a lot of antelope. But I did get this final picture.  It was a hail Mary and it turned out pretty good, considering. For me this was the best hunting trip Tommy and I have ever had.  I think it was for him too.



                                                  


                                                  

                

                                                                         

  

No comments:

Post a Comment