Sunday, January 6, 2013

It is not Every day I see a Zebra.......




Tommy and I decided very early in 2013...try day 2... we were going to take day trips and discover Missouri.

We talked about old New Year's Resolution's that we did not complete  and past vacations we have taken. We were in the process of maping out plans, ideas and places we wanted to investigate. We want to know Missouri inside and out.  We have lived in this state longer than anywhere else and we know the least about it. We change that this year.

We were throwing ideas around to explore. I wondered if we had any 'castles'. After checking I think there are 8 castles in Missouri, who knew?  Tommy said, " Ghost Towns." They number about 41 on Google. What is funny, is that we live close to one. We travel by the remains almost daily. I never considered it a 'ghost town.'  When we moved to Missouri, I worked in one of the old stores for awhile. Never once did I consider it a Ghost Town.  There are towns completly deserted with only a few buildings remaining and always a cememtery. To me those are Ghost Towns. We even found a few haunted buildings. We have one of those on our road. It has a long and violent history. I will write about it later.

We added to our list the "Lemp Mansion" in St. Louis. Hopefully we can spend the night there.....I think.  Missouri also has 4 old covered bridges. Would love to see and photograph them.

We have parks galore with fishing and camping areas to meet every kind of campers needs. We are close to primitive campers...except for my air mattress, which I refuse to give up. I like sleeping in a tent, cooking over a camp stove, while sitting around a campfire. All the while drinking coffee or beer, or wine, telling stories, laughing and maybe exaggerating the truth while our fishing poles try to lure in a meal for us.

The list of adventures is a work in progress.  However, we had a early, unexpected derailment Thursday. While in Columbia, Tommy said let's take this turn off and see where the road leads. Sounded good to me so we were off to who knows where.  We drove past a subdivision into an area that was decidedly more country than urban. The farther we drove the worse the roads became. We appeared to be descending as we drove. The homes built in this region were beautiful with massive amounts of open land between them and the next home.  

We came to one place with a 6 foot fence that looked electric to me, complete with cameras, a huge wrought iron gate locked and then locked again. Behind the gate was a sign saying, "This place is patrolled by German Shepherds" implying stay in your car and move on NOW!! Of course we slowed down. I got my camera out, rolled down my window  and began to snap away. In their yard was a Zebra and a horse with a zebra blanket encasing him from the cold. 

It was an odd and unexpected pleasure to see such a sight on a cold Missouri morning, fifteen minutes from a city. I am sure there must be other exotic animals there. We just did not see them. However, I think the story might be even more interesting if someone had spent all of that money to keep one zebra inside their fence. It also makes me wonder what is so special about the zebra?  And if the zebra is so special, where was his blanket? I could spin this a hundred different ways, but I want the truth. Somehow, someway I will get it.

This will not be the last time we venture down this road. There is a lot to see, if you enjoy nature and we do. So far 2013 if full of promise.....just the way I like it.


                                                                     
                                                  The truth if I ever told it...........

No comments:

Post a Comment