Monday, January 7, 2013

This one is for you, Elvis......


Tomorrow, January 8th, would have been Elvis Presley's 78th birthday. That is hard for me to fathom. Elvis Presley could never be 78 like the rest of us mortals.  He was exempt from the rules other humans follow and that is probably what killed him.  

He was a man with a talent bigger than life. It was a God given talent, embraced by men and women of all ages, all over the world. He changed music forever.

I remember when Tommy was playing in all the different bands in Georgia. One night we were playing at the Officer's Club on base in Atlanta.  Tommy was the singer and rhythm guitar player, in a band with a name I no longer remember.  He started singing, "My Woman, My Woman, My Wife".  I was dancing with an officer and he told me it was his birthday and asked if he could, "Buy a pretty lady a drink." I smiled and told him the singer was my husband. He looked at Tommy and said, "He resembles Elvis, in fact he sounds a little like Elvis. You two are very lucky." The song and dance ended.  I went back to the table where the band members and their 'women' sat. In a few minutes a martini was sent over to our table. The waiter told me who it was from and I cannot remember his name. I looked for the man. We each raised our drinks. I whispered "Happy Birthday".  When I looked back he was gone.  I kept the martini glass. For years it sat on the window sill of every home we lived in. I don't know when I lost the glass. I know it never made it to our home we live in now. Honestly, I think Tommy threw it away:) That is ok if he did.

This past week I received an email from Ruth.  The email had a copy of a gospel song sung by Elvis, "One Pair of Hands". I listen to this song at least two or three times a day. It minister's to my heart. I am going to try and share it with you. If it doesn't go through please try and find it on YouTube.


                                           
 Please enjoy and while you are at it, please say a prayer for Tommy.

 Tomorrow is his cardioconversion and we covet your prayers. We thank you for them in advance. We have been blessed with a network of people from all over the world. People I know through blogs, postcard trading and facebook. Not counting my family and friends I grew up with. I am blessed with many friends. Some friends I will never meet. These  people are very special to me. Sight unseen, I care about each and every one of you. To everyone I say thank you for your concern. 

                                             




No comments:

Post a Comment