Friday, January 18, 2013

My Father, Liquor and The Nursing Home...Oh MY!



I talked to my father, J.L.Humphreys today.  As usual it was a most interesting conversation.  Daddy has lost most of his hearing and most of his eyesight. However, he still gets around as well as can be expected and he has a sound mind. For that I am thankful.

 We never have a 'normal' conversation. I don't know what he thinks we are doing up here but he never, ever repeats what I say right.  It is futile to agrue, instead I just let him believe what he thought he heard. The other day he was positive I was going to jail. Why, I have no idea! That was what was on his mind. You have to admit that is an odd thing for a father to think about his daughter but my family has always been doused with a heavy dose of ' odd.'  Today, we were on the same page for about 5 minutes. He was the 'old daddy' and I could picture everything he was saying.

He is still independent and can take care of himself. To be almost 90 years old, I think he is doing remarkable.  He lives on the 'up and attem' side of ICF, as he calls it in Clinton, Kentucky.

When I talked to him this morning he was telling me about his adventures with some Kahlua liqueur Lisa had sent him  for Christmas.

 Evidently Daddy didn't know that the Kahlua was for his coffee.  Instead he thought it was aftershave. Since he can't see very well, he couldn't read what the bottle said. When he opened it up he thought it smelled "funny, however since Lisa sent it, he decided to put some on his face. He smeared it all over his face, rubbed some on his hands and a little bit in his hair.  He waited for the smell to get better.  It didn't. In fact he got hot, sticky and as he recalls, "smelled damn funky!!"  About this time, Glenda Dublin comes in to check on him and wants to know "why he is sticky and smelly".  Daddy said, "Damned if I know, I got this stuff for Christmas and I don't think I will be able to wear it!"

Glenda takes the bottle and reads it to him, explaining it goes in his coffee and not on his head!  She wasn't sure he could have it since it had alcohol in it.  She needed to check it out.  Daddy perked up when she said that.  According to him he "turned the bottle up and drank it before she could take it away from him". Said he didn't even get a buzz.......now you know where I get it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment