Monday, January 28, 2013

My Stomach Wants to Know Who Cut my Throat???



Tommy has to have a CAT scan of his heart early Tuesday morning. For this reason he has been placed on a 'clear liquid diet' for three days.  To give him moral support and to help make life easier for both of us, I went on the diet with him. We can imbibe on Sprite. We can also indulge in Jell-O as long as it does not have red food coloring in it.  Our main course is chicken broth. We are also allowed to drink apple juice and orange juice, topping it all off with a Popsicle for dessert.

So far today Tommy and I are not talking as much as we usually do. He considers me the "Warden" in charge of all the goodies we cannot have. He sleeps a lot. Between his heart being out of whack and not much 'real' food to eat, he is extremely tired. I don't have much energy either.  However when we do talk,  it is all about the food we are going to consume when our sentence has been commuted. We have decided we are going to eat our first meal at The Longhorn Steak House. Once there we will eat and drink anything we want. Our magical menu consists of rib-eye steak smothered in mushrooms and onions, a baked potato the size of Texas with all the trimmings and a salad loaded to the gills with every thing that makes a salad a meal in itself. All of this will be served with hot buttery rolls and ice tea.

However we still have to get through today. We have feasted on all the goodies that go with this less than perfect menu. While I was cleaning the kitchen this morning  I found a brownie at the bottom of my bread basket. The brownie was hard as a rock. It has probably been in that basket since 2011. I held it like it was pure gold. I thought I would stick it in the microwave to soften it up a little and then scarf it down while Tommy slept. When I turned the brownie over, it was disgusting.  It was covered in white and green cures for cancer.  I gagged and pitched it in the trash. I hate to admit this but I have flushed dead gold fish, pets we loved for several years, down the toilet and did not react or miss them half as much as I did that brownie!!

Tomorrow morning at 6:30 we are on our way to the V.A. Words cannot express how glad we will be when this leg of the journey is done.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment