Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Think the Little Lady is Dying






 With all the atrocities occurring in our world today, my area of concern tonight seems almost pointless to mention.  In the over all scheme of life and nature, this is a small occurrence. Birth and death are a daily event.  However, I am very troubled by the story we are watching unfold in front of our living room window.

I have fed hummingbirds for the past 30 years. I feed, on an average, 60 a day during the summer. The only way a person can tell, is by the amount of birds showing up for the evening meal. That is the only time the little birds behave.  Or try to behave. They know everyone has to eat all they can to make it through the night. This is how I make my estimation. At best it is a guess.

Several weeks ago, I freed a female hummingbird from one of our feeders.  She had fallen off the perch, slipping one wing under the bottom of the feeder. She fought and tried to free herself, only to make the situation worse.  I don't know how long she had been stuck before I noticed what had happened to her. I really thought she would free herself. I watched for a few minutes. I realized she wasn't going anywhere. The lady needed help.


I went outside and gently pulled her free. I tried not to hurt her in the process. The little hen was stuck tighter than I originally thought. She didn't fight me. I think she was too scared to do anything. She knew she needed help. I held her in the palm of my hand for a few seconds, then she flew away. I was delighted.


Yesterday was extremely hot, 107. The day before was 110 and today there still is no relief in sight. My thermometer reads 104 now. I am having trouble keeping the hummingbird feeders full. The heat, this year seems to be bothering them, as well as everyone else. We desperately need rain.


While Tommy and I were talking today, we saw one of the females
begin to act strange.  She took a long drink and then looked up to the top of the feeder.  Other birds came in to wrestle her away from her spot. She refused to move, nor did she eat.  The procession of hummingbirds changed three times while she sat there motionless.  Finally she tried to eat, instead of looking down and getting a drink, she began to touch the side of the feeder. Over and over she did this. She never once connected with the nectar. Suddenly she raised her head straight up, falling backwards off the feeder.  She didn't fly down, she fell.


I ran outside to see what I could do. I fully expected to find her dead.  She was alive, however her neck seemed to be broken. It was at an odd angle.  When I stooped to pick her up, she revived making a feeble attempt to fly to the nearest tree. She made it, barely. Evidently her neck was not broken. However something was wrong with her.
   
 She sat on a small branch.  From a distance she appeared to be wobbly on the branch.  I left her alone, going back in the house to resume my vigil.  She was gone when I looked out the window. I went back outside to see if she had died and fallen to the ground.  I didn't see her anywhere. She flew away.  Hopefully she will make it. Is it the same little bird I helped earlier?  I have no idea. All I know for sure is this lady is hurt. The heat is taking its toll on everything and everyone. A long cool rain would help my corner of the world. 



    I am not sure the little lady will live through the night. Hopefully she will. I am wrong quite often. I hope I am wrong this time for sure.                          
                                                                    


The last two pictures posted were bought from zazzle.com .  Patrica Ann Rizzo(?) painted the picture of the birds in the rain. Susan E. Adams took the photo of the lone hummingbird. The first photo is one I took.
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment