Friday, June 8, 2012

It was Just one of Those Days....



This picture was taken a couple of years ago. I ran across it last night while I was searching for the scotch tape.  Never did find the tape.  After I saw this picture I sat down and started remembering that day.  I am still shaking my head as I try to remember exactly when Tommy and I lost control of the entire day!!!

My grandchildren Jacy and Logan came out to spend a couple of days with us.  This is before we found out that everything, absolutely everything in or around my home, Logan is allergic to in a big way!! Thankfully the shots he takes now are helping, however that is another story.

 It rained the first day they were there.  We made cookies, watched  Disney movies and played with Barbie's.  I had to come up with a story line so Logan could play with us too. We found all his rubber sharks and the story began to evolve.  The Barbie dolls were stranded on an island, surrounded by --- you guessed it sharks.

I was in charge of the sound affects.  I had the music to Jaws down pat. I did the slow, creepy tune as the sharks entered the water. The sharks circled the island, mine kept going in closer and closer. Logan was loving it, Jacy was scared to death!!!!  She threw her Barbie on the bed and fled the room----crying.  Tommy came in and wanted to know why on earth I was scaring my granddaughter!!!  When I explained that sharks were about to eat her Barbie, he suggested we find something else to play.

I was out of ideas. Thankfully Tommy wasn't.  He suggested we go outside, put up an old tent and let the kids play in there.  Everyone thought that was a great idea. 

After an hour of trying to figure out how to put the tent up, the kids were ready to play.  This is where it gets complicated. Jacy was in the tent and Logan was outside with Papaw. I was standing by the tent.

I remember I had given the camera to Tommy to take a cute picture of the babies and their tent.  All of a sudden someone yells and both kids start running toward each other. Jacy was coming out of the tent, Logan was running into the tent! In a flash I knew this was not going to end well at all!!! It was like  watching a huge snowball, rolling down a mountain, there was no stopping what was about to happen.  Both kids were running and ran into each other at the tent door....... head butted is more like it!!!  Logan is knocked flat on his back, screaming and holding his head.  Jacy is in the process of screaming and falling back inside the tent. I am at the tent door in a state of panic, wondering how I am going to explain these bruises to Tami!!  That is when my darling husband takes the picture!!!  He looks at me and says, "Well, you wanted something cute!!!! .... this is damn cute" and he starts laughing. He is laughing uncontrollably! It is contagious, I bust out laughing while I am grabbing crying kids. Tommy gets Logan.  I get Jacy and we try to soothe their boo boos as we continue to laugh. The kids got mad at us for laughing. I couldn't help it, nor could I quit laughing. It was one of those things that had to run its course. Finally, it did.

Tommy and I washed their faces and held them. We sat in our swing and tried to make up for our misplaced sense of humor.  We dried their tears and tried to keep the little knots from forming on their foreheads. Eventually it worked and we were back in their good graces.  We just sat there holding them, telling them stories about when their Mama was little.They love hearing those stories as much as we like telling them. Those stories have gotten me off the hook more than once.


As I sit here writing and looking at the picture, I can't help but notice that even the dogs are rough housing.  It was just one of those days.  One of those unpredictable days that makes life worth remembering.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment