Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Remembering a Delightful Day




This picture makes me think of a perfect day at the beach.  I have it framed and sitting on my desk.  When I look at it I remember----everything about that morning.

It was early May, Tommy and I were visiting Lisa and Lisle, our oldest daughter and her husband in Naples, Florida.  We got up early that morning to watch the sun rise over the ocean.

It was about 5 a.m. when we all staggered to the kitchen to grab our coffee and make final plans for the day.  

The night before, the moon was closer to the earth than it will be for a year or so. It was gorgeous. With camera in hand, I am out in the night air taking pictures of the moon.  When I saw the pictures, I knew I would be the only one to know the story.  That's alright with me. I saw it in all it's beauty. It was impossible to capture it with my camera. Lisle was also outside taking pictures. As we sipped our first cup of coffee we  were exchanging pictures taken the night before.  He could be our son, we are so much alike.  He is the son of my heart.

Finally the coffee kicks in and we are ready to go to the beach. We are on island time, no need for a watch.  We get to the ocean in about 15 minutes. It is just beginning to dawn. 'Shellers' are walking the beach looking for the perfect sea shell the ocean deposited on shore while we slept. I can't wait to join them.  First and foremost on my mind is the sunrise. I don't want to miss a moment of it.

                               
                
This is the beginning of the sunrise. It was almost too dark to take a picture.  I wanted to try and I am glad I did.



Slowly the sun began it's rise. People began to join us on the pier and in the sand.  Camera's were flashing, dolphins were putting on a show for us.  The regulars, a group of old men who meet on the pier each morning to drink coffee and watch the sunrise, were there.



 I couldn't wait any longer. I had to go look for shells.  The ocean does indeed give up some beauties. I was hoping to find a piece of sea glass but it didn't happen that day.


We stayed at the pier long enough for it to change crowds at least three times. 



                                                                                                             I took this picture under the pier later that morning.  Little kids were running everywhere, but this egret was taking a slow walk, ignoring us.

 It was a good mind cleansing kind of day. Slow, easy and beautiful.  What more could I ask for?  After we returned to the house we all collapsed for a couple of hours.  Letting our minds and bodies regroup, heal and store the memories.  Memories to be resurfaced  at a later date and relived again.  

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment